Skip to content
Robitussin ???
hrmomof1 posted:
Hello - I have not yet posted on this board b/c DS is not quite 2 - but thought I would seek the adivce of mommies of "older" kiddos! Is it okay to give Robitussin to my DS yet?? He has kind of a yucky phlemmy sounding cough and I think a good dose of Robitussin to break it up would do the trick, but I don't know if it is safe yet to give him that. What are your thoughts??? TIA for your advice!

peachteach1 responded:
I am of the old school, but then again I am old...LOL., and have used it. Robutissin has been around since I was a little girl and when used properly it does work and I have used it on my children. Since your LO is not yet two, the best thing to do is call a pharmacy and ask for the correct dosage for his weight. Also, if he is taking anything else check to see if he can take the two together. Over dosing and drug interactions are the biggest problems so it is best to check with the pharmacy. I hope he feels better.

critty000 responded:
I wouldn't do it on my pedi's advice. He advised me that cough/cold medicine both ineffective and dangerous for toddlers, so we haven't used it. there is lots on the web about this. They say no for under 2. here is the first thing that popped up when I googled toddlers and cold medicine. www.cnn.com/HEALTH/blogs/paging.dr.gupta/2007/08/dangers-of-cold-medicine-in-toddlers.html

NiceCalves responded:
I gave infant robitussin to my dd last Feb. (she was like 20 months old) and it did help. This year, my dr advised against all over the counter meds for children under 6, BUT I still have some infant robitussin and I gave her some again this week. I agree with Peach, as long as you don't overdose them, I think it is fine, but I sure don't want to start a fight here. Use your mother's intuition, if you think a little will loosen it up, then I wouldn't hesitate to use it. After all, that is the one thing that we could take when we were pregnant. I am old school, too, (yes, Peach, I'm old, too :sillygrin: ) and I use robitussin for myself alot when I get a cough. It has been around, and I really do think that as long as you don't overdo it.....well, I will just say that I'm not afraid to use it. That is my own personal preference.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a stay at home Mom of 1 son. I love spending every day with him. I have an amazing husbands who works like crazy so I don't have to work outs...More

Helpful Tips

PULLDOWN BURNS
I read almost all of Dr. B. Nazario's articles and one item I see missing is what is known as "Pulldown Burns" among the medical and ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.