Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Doctor says no to teething tablets?
Cowgirls19 posted:
Hi ladies, I have a question about teething relief. My daughter is three and a half months old and she's already teething, so I asked her doctor what she recommends for relief. She said Tylenol and a teething ring, and she doesn't recommend teething tablets or Orajel type stuff because they have "extra" ingredients that may harm babies. I don't have a problem giving her Tylenol, I just don't want to give it to her every time she looks like her gums are bothering her, and she is still a little too young to be able to hold a teething ring in her mouth for a long time...she ends up just biting on her fingers.

So my question is how many of you use teething tablets or Orajel? Does your doctor recommend it? People I know use it with their babies, and Chloe's daycare teacher said she uses it for her kids. I guess I'm just confused about what to do.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Teehazel responded:
Humphreys teething tables, they are 100% homeopathic and my fam lives by it. I bought three bottles before little Caleb was born just to have them 'on deck'. BTW my doc LOVES them

HTH

molly88888 responded:
A pharmacist that I used to work with said to never use something that said Homeopathic..because it wasn't approved to use and was more of a natural thing, I think he meant FDA approved, but I'm not sure. So I have never used them..however I have used orajel but haven't seen good results with that either. I have never asked my DR about the tablets, because I already had that in my head about Homeopathic, however many moms on the boards love them. I find good relief in wetting the baby washcloths, and sticking them in baggies in the fridge, then since my Lo isn't old enough to enjoy pulling things to his mouth yet, I wrap the little cold washcloth around my finger and rub it along his gums nad he chews and sucks on it..which is why I only use his washcloths. If your LO is in that much discomfort I would trust your pedi and just use the tylenol. Some days she might be okay,a nd others it might spike up again, so its not like you will have to use the tylenol constantly.

HannahTMI responded:
We have used Hylands Teething Tablets with both of our sons. I never asked my pedi about them. They were recommended by a family friend and they worked, so I went with it.

I hate pedis who recommend medications as the first way out. They make me nervous. There are a lot of natural remedies that can be tried first. Too much tylenol can be rough on the kidneys.

melly0379 responded:
I have used the teething tablets and have not seen good results. I use oragel on my son now. I have never asked my pedi for any suggestions. I have never heard that baby oragel has ingredients that can harm your child; if so why it is being sold in stores......

bbromley88 responded:
this is going to sound so ridiculous and yall will probably all freak out when i say this... but this lady i work w/ shes like 70 she told me to cut a piece of an onion and let raeghan chew on it.. was like oook? what kind of kid will like an onion.. well she loved it!! and she seems to enjoy it, it must be helping cause shes back to her happy, healthy self..her pedi said he didnt see anything wrong w/ it as long as it was small enough that it wouldnt choke her..

Minnmommy responded:
I haven't used the tablets either... but I don't see why you can't try them. Different doctors will have different views, ultimately you have to decide which pieces of info you're going to listen to. Of course there is some stuff you have to listen to, but some stuff is up to your judgement too.

I have used the orajel swabs and they seem to help, but Jacob hates the flavor.. its some berry flavor. Plus they're expensive. I have only used Tylenol when it seemed like nothing else was helping and he was extremely fussy about his gums. I have noticed that you can find nice thin teething toys that will be easier for your kiddo to hold. Look at teething blankets and stuff like that to see if that might work for your LO.. I've also tried the wash cloth thing and DS likes that too. I want to try one of those mesh teethers soon. MIL wants to buy a bunch of stuff for him so I'm going to pick it out and let her buy it lol.

As for the onion thing, not so weird! My mom actually teethed me on whole pickles. I was about 6 months old when I started teething so she said I could hold onto them and stuff. I've never tried using onion, but I can see where its coming from!

LauraSNJ responded:
Honestly, I didn't ask the pedi. I use the Hyland's Teething Tablets and they work pretty well. The ingredients are all herbal-type things so I am not sure what extra stuff that could harm the baby your doctor was talking about! We use tylentol or infant motrin when he needs a little more serious relief. Parker HATES the orajel so when only use that when desperate.

bbromley88 responded:
hahah good cause i was beginning to suspect i was just imagining the onion thing was actually working.. lol

ShanMay responded:
I use it for Avery...my friends & family swear by it and after using it for so long (she started teething at 4 weeks), it's been great. Her doc says to just watch out for a change in wet diapers...if they go down, discontinue...she said it is rare but some babies have that reaction. GL!!

molly88888 responded:
Your baby started teething at 4 weeks! Thats pretty early..when did she finally get one?

bbromley88 responded:
raeghan went for her shots last tuesday and she too is teething per her pedi you can feel the lil bumps on her gum line ahhh shes doing good about it.. i got her this rasberry paci thing its bumpy so its like a teething ring but they can suck on it like a paci raeghan loves the thing!! you can get them at HEB

ibby14 replied to molly88888's response:
Thats because your doctor is part of the AMA/FDA Cartel that wants the money in your wallet. They don't care about cures, they just want to treat your symptoms with a perscription. The drug cartel can't make money with homeopathic cures because they can't put a patent on them. Why do you think the AMA's agains them in the first place? If you get cured with a homeopathic product they're not making money on it

JessHeath responded:
I agree with your pediatrician and I don't personally think that teething tablets are safe and I would never use them. Natural does not mean necessarily safe. There are lots of unsafe homeopathic medications and it is risky because they are unregulated by the FDA. Hylands teething tablets contain Belladonna which is a potent drug. Look up Belladonna on wikipedia, it can cause hallucinations and according to that site it was actually used as anaesthetic for surgery and in ancient Rome as a poison. I personally would not give that to my child. Teething is painful but a little tylenol, some ice, a few restless nights and its over with. My DD got her teeth in sets of 4 which meant really difficult times when they came in but it only was for 2-3 days and then was over with and this only happened about 4 times that I can remember, the others must have came in without issues because she has 20 teeth (she's 3 now). I would just do the research on the homeopathic ingredients first and it would not be for me.

phoenix31674 replied to JessHeath's response:
I have to agree with Jess. Remember that aspirin comes from tree bark, but it can be potentially fatal and can cause liver failure if you overdose. Natural/homeopathic does not mean safe. They can have just as many side effects as big pharma.

Hylands were recalled because of the belladonna and the fact that it would be easy for parents to administer and overdose not realizing the potential danger because so many do think of homeopathic as better and safer than big pharma.

as a general rule, I try to avoid as many drugs as possible. In almost 4 years, DD has had about 8 doses of children's Tylenol and gas drops. DS had one does of Tylenol after his last shot because of the swelling there, but I generally don't like to give them anything. Of course, DD has only ever run 3 fevers and had two colds, so I have to consider myself lucky.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 24 years old, and a first time mommy. Aidan was born on 10/09/09 at 11:47am, 7lbs 15oz and 20 inches. At four months he is now 13lbs 8oz and 26 i...More

Helpful Tips

Finding exchange boards...
Okay, if you manage to find the board your looking for, look on the top right-hand portion of the page. You will see "Join this Exchange". ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.