Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
baby not eating much
kausinchaos posted:
For the past few days my LO decided that she is not gonna eat much. I thought maybe it was due to her teething but now i'm not so sure. Shes eating anywhere from 20 to 24 ozs a day but so far today its only been 9. Shes to busy chewing on her bottle nipple then anything. She's acting normal shes her smiling laughing lil self but how can I get her to eat more? I'm at a stand still. My mom thinks its because maybe she doesnt like formula. I am gonna call her pedi monday but until then I need help. TIA

Ciera13 responded:
Try feeding her a small amount of formula every hour. Like 2 ounces or something. Or give her a spoon full of rice cereal a couple of times while she drinks her milk. My baby got sick and wouldn't eat very much, so to make sure he didn't get dehydrated we had to feed him every hour. I hope this helps you. It helped my baby. Oh, you could put a little bit of Baby Orajel on her gums to numb them so she doesn't have any pain, maybe that would help.

jlg08 responded:
DD did this a couple weeks ago and it was sooo strange...she used to eat 5oz every 3 hours well she started only eating 2-3oz of what i made so i changed her schedule to eat 3oz every 2hrs and she did good! now she eats 4oz every 2 1/2hrs.

SuperMomWannaBe1984 responded:
Just to throw it out, my pedi said she doesn't suggest orajel for babies b/c it hardens their gums and actually makes it harder for the teeth to come thru. I don't really know of course, that's just what she said. I know, sometimes you just have to do what works! :goofy:

tlrlovesdlr responded:
Don't worry (although it's hard). A lot of times this happens and can be from many things - teething, coming down off the growth spurt, etc. It will only last a day or two (sometimes 3). But then you will see that she will eat like gang busters. Go ahead and try what the pp said - to feed a few ounces an hour or and hour 1/2 at a time. Yes, I've done that before and it does help..at least for our own minds too. Keep an eye out for her temp and her ears as well. If it doesn't change within 36-48 hours, I would call the pedi just to make sure if they want to see her first to rule anything else out.

alvord1 responded:
If you think its related to teething yet tylenol about 20mins before her meal. Or try guning her teething tablets. Those are the only things that help my. LO with teething...

mrs1012 responded:
Your LO doesnt seem to be eating much to me. My LO is 1 day older than yours and he eats a 7-8oz bottle every 4 hours. I am not sure if she was a preemie or if she is just petite....my LO is in the 30 percentile for his age so he isnt very big weight wise for his age (but VERY long). We put rice in every other bottle for him, especially the night time bottle. But your LO choosing not to eat is probably teething or she might have a little cold. My LO got a cold and he could care less about eating but I still fed him on his normal scehdule and just let him eat whatever he wanted of the bottle. Have you started solids yet? As long as she has 6-10 wet diapers a day, then you are ok, she just might not be interested in food. My sitter's little girl went through this when she was about 4-5 months. HTH!! Keep us updated on your LO! :goofy:

mommyyummy responded:
I found a great site for info on babies with feeding feeding problems.

www.childrenandbabiesnoteating.com

Maria

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Loretta. I am 28 years old. I am a mother to 3( daughter 5, daughter 2, and son 4 mo 11/3/09), stepmother to 3 ( step daughter 16, step son...More

Helpful Tips

Finding exchange boards...
Okay, if you manage to find the board your looking for, look on the top right-hand portion of the page. You will see "Join this Exchange". ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.