Skip to content
Please Pray for Jaevin
asheets304 posted:
My 3 month old was diagnosed with Bacterial Neisseria Meningitis 3 weeks ago to the day. He got his 2 month vaccines and two days later laid in his crib lifeless while moaning (not crying) and everytime we went to comfort him, he would scream like his body ached or he was in pain. Imagine how we felt when our attempts to comfort our sick child failed. I called his Pedi 5 times over the weekend and she just told me it was a side effect of the shots and if his fever reached 103....take him in.

Finally on Monday, I took him to his pedi and she immediately thought that something was wrong. She admitted him and thought that he "looked like a meningitis baby". They did a spinal tap on him and waited 48 hours to see if anything grew in the spinal fluid. While in this 48 hour waiting period, I was told that it could be something that happened when I was pregnant with him...they wanted to do a CAT SCAN in case he was "dropped" lol (imagine my frustration and outrage towards the doctors when they went as far as assuming he was dropped.) I took two days off of work to be with my son and was told I was I was on a critical warning and needed to come back to work or I'd be terminated....so on D-Day (the day of the results) I went back to work and while at work, I got a call from my pedi (I put her on speaker phone) she explained what meningitis was and it wouldn't be a bad idea to leave work now because it is contagious. My boss felt like an a-hole and now I've been on leave for 3 weeks without problems .

So we were transferred to Children's Hospital and they explained that "bump" on LO's head that was mistakened for blunt trauma was his soft spot that was bulging because of the inflammation in his brain caused by the meningitis. His brain was so inflammed he needed 3 weeks of antibiotics instead of the norm 7 days. His white cell count in the spinal fluid only dropped from 1900 -1500 (it's supposed to be at 0) so he has to be on antibiotics for longer. They found fluid pockets around his brain that needed to be drained. They drilled two holes in the top of his head to drain the fluid. After that was all said and done....he was done having fevers and we just needed a repeat MRI in a week (today). The pockets that they drained are non existant. He now has large fluid pockets inside of his brain that requires a shunt (a tube inserted in the brain that drains the fluid into his stomach) and he keeps it his whole life. So far he has had 4 spinal taps and on his 5th one tomorrow.

Most babies don't beat this infection...it's usually fatal. The few prayers got us this far. Now I need everyone else to help him fight this other battle. They keep explaining the rare side effects and everything that is rare is common for LO. We need your support. Please keep him in ur prayers. Thank u for making it this far!

erinsmom1964 responded:
I am so so very sorry. My family is praying hard for yours

BabyMakesFive2009 responded:
I will be praying for you and your precious baby. "For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them." Matthew 18:20

cmanfore responded:
You've got our families prayers!

--

Courtney(19) Andrew(24) Alyssa Rayne(10/5/09) 6lbs 8oz 19 3/4in

mamatobe08 responded:
Lurking--your family is in my prayers!

molly88888 responded:
My Goodness. I will be praying for you and your little trooper..you will defintly be in my thoughts!

SasWarah05 responded:
Stay strong. You all with definitely be in our prayers.

Psalm 55:22 Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you;he will never let the righteous fall.

Sarah(23) Brian (23) Christian Thomas 9 lbs 2 oz 9/22/09 via c- section 4 month 15 lbs 7 oz

bluekiwi78 responded:
We will be praying for you and your sweet baby!

LMaar responded:
Oh, Alissa - I'm so sorry this is happening. I'll keep you all in my prayers and I'm hoping Jeavin will pull through this!!!

((big hugs))

newandscaredmommy responded:
I will pray for u and your family

witch666 responded:
Your family is in my heart and thoughts.

staceyj0709 responded:
Lurking from newborn boards...

Alissa, I am so sorry! I will keep your Jaevin in my thoughts; that is so awful. What a strong little boy you have to get be getting through this.

newmommy1209 responded:
I will definitely be praying keep us posted.

kbrown55 responded:
My thoughts & prayers are with you & your sweet little man

TRACY7999 responded:
Hang in there, it sounds like he's a strong little guy. We will keep you and Jaevin in our prayers.

Spotlight: Member Stories

We are very blessed to have our Adam Michael born on 10-15-2009 at 7 pounds 11 ounces. We had two previous loses one miscarrage at 9 weeks, and one st...More

Helpful Tips

Wake up WEB MD!
You've probably noticed that we've gone from posting several notes every hour to only a handful per day. The new system is NOT working so ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 58 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.