Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What do you think?
thaids posted:
Hey everyone, my AD is 5 months old now , I took her to the doctor yesturday & she wieghs 19 lbs 4 oz. The doctor says she's a bit over wieght for her age. When she was born she weighed 8 lbs 12 oz, so Im dont know.... She only eats whn she's hungry, could it be the breast milk? I dont really see much problem, she's just a baby...any ideas ?

thaids responded:
yesterday sorry...lol....

Anmar22 responded:
I'm not sure I've heard that breast fed babies are usually smaller than formula fed. Sorry, I'm not much help. I'm sure she's just healthy and happy. Did you doctor suggest anything?

nrmarzella responded:
The general rule of thumb is for a baby to double their birthweight by 6 months and triple it by 1 year old. I doubt the pediatrician was asking you to decrease the amount you are feeding LO, but rather to watch the rate of gain. With my oldest (will be 3 years old on Saturday), she gained weight at a very quick pace from birth to 8 months. Then, as she began taking less formula and more foods, she slowed down. When she began eating mostly table foods, her weight gain really slowed. She went from the 75th percentile in weight to the 40th. At 3, she is only 29 pounds. She was 21 pounds at 1 year old (birthweight was 7 pounds 9 ounces). Our pediatrician is not concerned as long as she continues to gain at her current rate and stay around the 40th percentile. I would have never believed that I would be dealing with slow weight gain when I was in your shoes at 5 months old with her. Back then, I was concerned that she would be an overweight child. The bottomline is, your child will go through different phases. Don't get too concerned unless the trend continues once she is eating solids. Keep talking to your doctor at future well visits.

thaids responded:
No the doc didnt give any suggestions, he stated tht since she was born big, its okay for now but something to watch. Thank you for your comments nrmarzella & anmar22.

nualla22 replied to thaids's response:
My DS was born 7lbs 15oz and initially lost too much weight, but once we got a handle of the BF thing- we've gained like a champ. Now he's 10 weeks 25.5 inches and on thursday was 15lbs 5oz.

I had a similar experience at m 2 month appt w/ a dr I don't like. The babe is tall and for a month gained a pound a week- she made a comment about how much I was feeding him- I said every two hours- she said to stretch it to three! Somehow attending to my baby's needs is bad parenting??? Anyway, stretching it out is fine with me- we've pretty much gotten to 2 1/2-3 hours.

I'm lucky that I go to a BF support group at the hospital where he was born every week. The LC is super supportive and said to me, "The DR is giving her professional opinion. You are your child's parent. Smile and move on." The LC thinks he is doing great and assured me that the weight gain will slow naturally!

Plus, I think if the babe is happy and meeting milestones, you are good! Once they start moving- it'll be a different story all together!!! sorry this is so long!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Ihave a sweet baby girl, Claire, that was born on 1/26/11 after an induced labor ending in a c-section.

Helpful Tips

Finding exchange boards...
Okay, if you manage to find the board your looking for, look on the top right-hand portion of the page. You will see "Join this Exchange". ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.