Skip to content
introducing solids??
wanting2be posted:
Hi ladies! I am a first time mommy to a happy and healthy boy who is almost 4 months old. We are going to introduce solids after our pedi gives us the ok at his next appointment. I am very anxious about the whole "feeding solids" process mainly because I don't know how long to feed rice before switching to veggies then fruits ect. Please help!! If anyone can tell me the approximate timeline for feeding I would greatly appreciate it! Also, how often are you supposed to feed them rice, veggies, fruit--1-2x a day or more!?!? It's all so confusing!! TIA

wisebeyond responded:
Well when my daughter went into the hospital at a month old, the papers the dietician gave us, suggest rice cereal at about 4 months and then at 6 months to start fruits and veggies assuming your baby is formula fed, otherwise you start with meat. And you're supposed to start just one type of food at a time, for about 3-4 days before introducing another, and then you can keep adding, but that way if the baby has any problems with adding certain foods you know which food is causing problems. My little one is 3 and a half months old and we have started rice cereal with a more formula-like consistency. We only do this with her once a day from a spoon and then we put just a half scoop of rice cereal for every 4 oz of formula in her bottle before bed.

My friend got the go ahead to start her daughter on rice cereal at 2 and a half months old, because her daughter is showing signs of teething and now at almost 5 months old she is already starting fruits and vegetables.

Definitely ask your doctor for a chart at your next appointment or look online for dietician charts involving babies :)

Anyway I hope this helps. With the cereal thing, I do it from her bowl only once, sometimes 2x, a day because she doesn't want the rice cereal when she is overly-tired. And just wants her bottle sometimes. I would say just go with what your baby shows you he wants. Over time they start choosing the spoon more and more over the bottle.

crystal2883 responded:
My baby is 5 months old today. We started him on rice cereal at 4 months old, 1 time per day. We also feed him the cereal right before bed and we use one tablespoon of cereal and mix it in with formula. He had a hard time knowing what to do with it at first, so we would try it each night and if he got too frustrated, we would just stop and try again the next night. He's got the hang of it now and he is eating like a champ! We plan on introducing some fruits and vegetables once he is 6 months.

wisebeyond replied to crystal2883's response:
So I checked out this website you may find interesting. Its wholesomebabyfood.com

It's really awesome. One of the foods they suggest for babies as a starter that isn't basic formula, that they can handle at 4 months easily is avocado or banana.

So we may be going from rice cereal to trying avocado here soon. :)

Anmar22 responded:
It's also a good idea when giving fruits and veggies, introduce all the veggies first before the fruit. If you start with the fruit they might not want the veggies later. That's what i've always heard and that's what our doctor suggested. We started on fruits and veggies at about 4 1/2 months because we had been giving rice cereal in our DD's bottle since about 6 weeks to help with spitting up. So we started thickening the rice for about a week and then went to oatmeal and then started with veggies usually trying a new one every 3 or 4 days. Once we got through the veggies we did the same with fruit.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 32 years old and I have a 17 year old son Jayson, 12 year old son James, 10 yearold daughter Abbygail , and a 3 month old daughter Emily. My husb...More

Helpful Tips

Finding exchange boards...
Okay, if you manage to find the board your looking for, look on the top right-hand portion of the page. You will see "Join this Exchange". ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.