Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Period and nursing after baby
Jaylonsmama posted:
My baby is almost 3 months and I'm nursing, I started the nuva ring after my 6 week check up, however I found it went missing 1/2 way into the 3 week cycle so I got my period, and now 4 weeks later I have not gotten it again. I did not replace the ring cause I freaked about it falling out the first time, since my baby was conceived while using the ring. Could my missing period be from the fact that I'm nursing or should I start freaking out????

KatieorAlex responded:
Hi, i was under the impression that you shouldn't be on birth control while nursing..... if you only nurse you shoudnlt get your period!!! as you ob. katie

amyclaremoran replied to KatieorAlex's response:
Most practitioners will recommend that you use some method of birth control because even though breastfeeding delays the return of your period there is no way to tell when you will start ovulating again. It varies a lot between women and depends on a number of factors. Women who pump frequently and bottle feed tend to ovulate sooner than those who feed exclusively from the breast. One way or another at some point you will release an egg and you wouldn't know it unless you get your first period.

Castro0620 replied to amyclaremoran's response:
I know not everyone is the same but i now have 2 kids that are 14 mnths apart for not going on BC when i wanted to even though i was nursing!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm Lauren. My husband and I had been ttc for 2 years when in Feb 09 I was at my yearly appt and the Dr came in to tell me that my test wasn't...More

Helpful Tips

Finding exchange boards...
Okay, if you manage to find the board your looking for, look on the top right-hand portion of the page. You will see "Join this Exchange". ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 27 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.