Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hungry Hungry Hippo boy!!
MrsL9 posted:
So I have a 3 month old who ate more than 12 oz of breastmilk last night before bedtime. Now I'm wondering if I should introduce rice cereal into his diet. He's 14 weeks on Tuesday. I'm wondering if I should put a little into his bottles to start to just thicken up the breastmilk or if I should just give him a spoonful or two before a bottle to get him used to solids right off the bat? Any ideas or tips are greatly appreciated since this is my first little one and Im clueless. I know technically I'm supposed to wait until he's 4 months to introduce solids but the little guy is soo hungry it seems so I'm thinking he's ready. He can sit up in a Bumbo on his own and holds his head up so well. His favorite position is standing on our laps and looking around so I know he can handle being spoonfed (according to this web site they have to hold their head up to be able to be spoonfed) Ok so I am rambling like a crazy person! Thanks in advance for the help!

KSHoh responded:
My LO will be 3 months on Thursday. He has already had cereal in his bottle for a long time. He is eating us out of house and home. It is so difficult to keep to his schedule anymore because he gets so hungry all the time. I would introduce the cereal with the spoon. It will help your LO get used to the spoon. He may not take to it right away and could take a few weeks for him to figure out the spoon thing. I would still let your doctor know that your going to give him cereal. I know they are trying to get babies to wait till 6 months but some babies are just ready sooner.

KSHoh replied to KSHoh's response:
Forgot to add my LO is getting cereal in the bottle due to acid reflux otherwise I would have introduced it to him with a spoon when the time came.

JessHeath replied to KSHoh's response:
Does that work for reflux? I have seen conflicting things on the internet and my son has shown some signs of reflux. I'm lurking btw because my son is only 7 weeks old.

phoenix31674 replied to JessHeath's response:
I would suggest bringing this up with your pedi. Your son should have an appointment coming up.

Due to how immature his digestive system is, I would recommend starting with keeping him upright 30 minutes after eating and see if that helps any fussiness. But always defer to your doctor over the internet, though using the internet for research to bring to the appointment and discuss is a good thing.

KSHoh replied to JessHeath's response:
It helps a lot with my baby. It may not work for every baby. He also takes prevacid solutabs(prescription).

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Stephanie (23). I am mother to Graceyn Hope born Oct. 27, 2009. And wife to Thomas (23). We have two kitties Myla and Cosmo. I am 2-1-1 a...More

Helpful Tips

To WebMD
Please give us our old message boards back. I think you're going to lose a lot of users. Problems: * The newborn to 3 month board is ... More
Was this Helpful?
98 of 116 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.