Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Size
HMJ5678 posted:
My son was born at 8# 11oz. Since he was born he has gained 1 - 1/2 pounds a week. He is now 14 weeks and is about 26 inches long and weighs 18 #s and 3 oz. I am breastfeeding exclusively. His doctor who he saw last at 7 weeks didn't say he was concerned about his growth. He was 14 #s 9 oz. that visit, which is big. Doc said 97+ percentile.

Anyway, everyone comments on how big he is and my mom mentioned could there be anything wrong. He is so happy and healthy and he is just big. Does anyone else have a happy, healthy, BIG baby? He goes for his 4 mo. visit on the 17th, which I will check in with doc., but I am getting worried, should I have any concern?

I figure he is growing at the same rate/curve since he was born.

HMJ5678 responded:
Sorry. Should say 1 -1 1/2 pounds a week.

phoenix31674 responded:
If he's on the same curve, it's not a big deal. Of course you can't tell that until you've had a few visits after birth. DD has been a 95-97th percentile kid. She was born 9lb4oz and at 3.5 is the size of your average 5 year old. DS is still too little (3 months) for me to have an idea of how big, but he sure holds his head up well and sadly seems to have the same long trunk his sister had and some of his 3-6 month clothes are getting tight on the trunk.

DD was and DS is breastfed exclusively, so you can have a really big top of the curve baby while breastfeeding.

EMB2006 responded:
My DS was 9 lbs 10 oz at birth and has been in the 95 % in his height & weight from the beginning. He is now 5 1/2 months old, formula fed, eating baby food (quite well) and continues to be a happy, healthy baby. He's probably close to 20 lbs now and at least 27 inches long. If the doctor was concerned he would have told you-it's my experience & opinion that you have a very healthy baby-enjoy!! We laugh at how much our LO eats and how he's grown. He's wearing 9 month clothes and some of those are getting tight LOL. If you're concerned talked to the pedi just to calm your nerves-that's what I did. Hope this helps and good luck!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a mother of 4 beautiful chidren. Destiny is 11, Kevin 9, Danayah 7, and Devin is 5 months old. My family means everything to me. I love them s...More

Helpful Tips

To WebMD
Please give us our old message boards back. I think you're going to lose a lot of users. Problems: * The newborn to 3 month board is ... More
Was this Helpful?
98 of 116 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.