Skip to content
Need Advice About Traveling
Cincychic posted:
Hi Ladies. I will be traveling to India in March and taking my five month old. I have yet to take him on a plane, so I am not really sure what to expect. I just was wondering if you have any tips for taking a baby abroad? Also, did any of you bring strollers, and if so what size? I was wondering if I should bring my regular size travel system stroller, or if it would be an issue. Also, what should I bring on board? Sorry for so many questions, I just want to be prepared. Thanks in advance.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Cincychic - How exciting! And terrifying at the same itme...

My daughter was 6 months the first time we went on a plane trip. However, it was a very short ride.

Here are some travel trip tips I found around WebMD that you might find helpful. I'd love to hear from other members who have experience traveling with a baby!

Flying With a Baby: http://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/features/flying-with-baby-is-air-travel-safe-infants

Stress Free Travel Tips:
http://www.webmd.com/balance/slideshow-holiday-travel-less-stressful

Haylen

phoenix31674 responded:
We'll be taking DS back to the States from Germany when he's about 9 months. I really want to buy him his own seat, but it's not cheap and we are being realistic in the fact that I am likely to have to hold him the whole time anyway since he is very needy/clingy, though that could change. For something as long as a trip to India, i really recommend getting LO his own seat, though having the seat with you may be problematic. This is just so that you can sleep on the plane without worrying about dropping/crushing your son.

as for stroller, you can gate check whichever. The advantage of the travel system stroller is you would have some place to put the car seat.

On board, you are going to want at least 2 changes of clothes for you son, tons of bibs, at least 2 shirts for you and anyone who may be traveling with you and a second pair of pants. Take at least twice as many diapers as you should need for the time of the flight and same for any formula/food. also bring plenty of toys books to entertain him, but don't bring anything too small or likely to roll off the tray table. and get Clorox wipes for the table and seat armrests. Those things are pretty gross. a pacifier is a good idea to help with the pressure during take off and landing. a few receiving blankets to use for everything from a blanket, to wipe up messes and to put on the changing table in the plane (most planes it folds down from behind the toilet).

This is stuff from when I traveled with DD when she was 6 months old. Finally get to the airport way early so you can get through security (which will be a 3 ring circus). If you need to connect, leave plenty of time, especially coming back into the States since customs and immigration and then going back through security to get to your domestic gate can take a while and it's hard to rush with a baby in tow.

I would not recommend Benadryl because I'm against medicating kids, but if you decide to go that route, you should know how your son will react. it doesn't knock all kids out, some it just hypes up and 35k feet is the wrong place to figure that out.

i would not plan on having much time to yourself on the flight. Expect to spend most of your time entertaining your son or trying to catch some sleep when he sleeps.

Hope that helps. i only flew across the country and not to a different continent. That waited until DD was 2, but it was only to Europe.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Proud First time Mommy to Kaleb born on June 16, 2011 @ 10:57pm weighing in at 7lbs 10in 20.5 inches long. :) Kaleb just will be turning 5 months on t...More

Helpful Tips

Wake up WEB MD!
You've probably noticed that we've gone from posting several notes every hour to only a handful per day. The new system is NOT working so ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 58 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.