Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
baby food too soon
Monkeys_momma posted:
My daughter is really healthy weight wise and we started rice cereal and fruit at 2.5 mo of just a bite or two and have slowly introduced a few more fruits and now squash. We are really careful to wait in between introducing new foods to watch for reactions. What can I say, she LOVES to eat and the food has had NO bad reactions at all. Would giving her a little fruit or veggie and cereal 2x a day be too much at this age? She still gets enough formula, drinking about six 6oz bottles in 24hrs (sometimes more rarely less). She is a chunky monkey so there is no concern with lack of nutrients...at 3 mo she is about 15lbs and was 8.5lbs at birth. Thanks for your ideas, suggestions and input. My older son is 12 so it's been a loooong time since I've done this!!!

phoenix31674 responded:
I would talk to your pedi. Most will not recommend any sort of food until the baby is 4 months old with the general recommendation to wait until 6 months. Many babies do not have digestive systems mature enough for food. But even if they do, the issue becomes overfeeding. I read a study that came out in the last month or so that showed a possible correlation between early introduction of solids and later childhood obesity because between the food and the formula, the baby is taking in too many calories and hunger cues can get rewired. So really, bring this up with your doc and see what sort of feeding advice you are given.

BunnyJaffar responded:
They told me that if you feed your baby too soon that they will get fat because they only need formula for the first year and that you are giving them EXTRA things that can make them get fat.
Hydroxycut

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to BunnyJaffar's response:
Here's an article published a few weeks ago:

Starting Solid Food Too Soon Tied to Childhood Obesity

"Starting infants on solid foods before the age of 4 months may dramatically increase the risk of childhood obesity."

If you have additional fitness questions about raising healthy children, you can also check out the new Raising FIT Kids community

(I love all of your profile photos!)

Haylen

Monkeys_momma responded:
Thanks for all your imput. I checked with our Ped at the last appt, and he said it was ok but to remain cautious as her intestines are not well developed yet. I am aware about the obecity factor and we have begun to only give her veggies around dinner time..she watches us fork to plate then mouth when we eat and opens her mouth if something goes near her thats food and even reaches out to try to grab something! I figure if she's chubby from eating veggies than so be it. She has also lost some pudge, but still remains healthy as she has been more active! Go figure this study came out about a month after we begun solids! I hope this may help other famililes who's kids seem eager to eat but also feel torn. In the end all has reamined well with having her eat a little bit of food!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband and I found out we were pregnant at the begining of July. On December 8th I went to my normal monthly checkup and was diagnosed with preacl...More

Helpful Tips

Wake up WEB MD!
You've probably noticed that we've gone from posting several notes every hour to only a handful per day. The new system is NOT working so ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 58 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.