Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Excema/Sores-Treatments nonresponsive.
Chowsky posted:
My five month old son has excema and cradle cap. He scratches all the time and we try to keep his hands covered but he manages to leave scratches on his forehead and body. It has gotten to the point that he has little pimples/sores all over him and the products we have tried seem to have no effect. We have tried aquaphor, aveno baby, three different types of lotion, jojoba oil, baby oil, petroleum jelly, natural goats milk soap, dove, etc. We used a steroid hydrocortisone cream to great effect but we cant keep using that b/c too much use is bad. The pimples/sores look really terrible and scares my wife and I greatly. He seems to be happy enough but we are very concerned.
additional factors?
I have some food allergies and others in the family have pet allergies (we have two dogs and one cat)
Both of our families have a history of excema in babys/children.
He is eating baby food and similac formula.
He is already taking an antihistamine and benadryl
Does anyone have any suggestions? Anything that you may have tried or heard of? Thank you.

kmeenu responded:
Try california baby cream and hopefully you will see effect within 2-3 days . you can buy it from target . it is little expensive but worth it . I used everything which you mentioned in your post . I used hydrocortisone for almost a month on my baby skin but as soon as I stopped it , excema was back . hopefully california baby cream will work for your baby too..

jrap1978 responded:
for the head,use head and shoulders shampoo...worked wonders for my DS when he had it...hydrocortizone never worked for him either I had to go to his pedi and get Elecon,which is a steriod cream.thats the only thing that worked for me..i have bad allergies too and DS who is 11 now has food allergies and he's already started w the pet allergies...i didnt have those until my 20's
HTH

JessHeath responded:
My son isn't quite as bad as yours but he does have horribly dry skin and bad cradle cap. We are trying Aquaphor and its working but the one thing I would suggest is get a referral to see a pediatric allergist. My doctor saw my son yesterday and since he also has some breathing issues and is always congested, coughs and sneezes a lot she is suspecting allergies which she thinks is causing his alligator skin too so she referred us to a pediatric allergist/pulmonologist. We will see him in a week and a half, I'm interested in what he will think!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband and I found out we were pregnant at the begining of July. On December 8th I went to my normal monthly checkup and was diagnosed with preacl...More

Helpful Tips

Finding exchange boards...
Okay, if you manage to find the board your looking for, look on the top right-hand portion of the page. You will see "Join this Exchange". ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.