Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Moving to crib
An_222603 posted:
Our daughter is currently sleeping in a cradle swing in her nursery. I've tried to get her to sleep in her crib and she will sleep for 30-45 then she's wide awake. I have swaddled her, used a wedge, just a blanket, pacifier, etc and nothing seems to make her happy. I think she likes the cradle because its cozy but I REALLY want to get her in the crib. She's moving around so much and is almost rolling over, I think the crib would be better for her. Any suggestions? She is only 3 months old, so I think she's too young to let her "cry it out"??

phoenix31674 responded:
I know some are going to say this is baby blasphemy, but my son really only sleeps well if he's on his tummy. That's since he was about 3 months. Before that he was a side only sleeper. i had to stop that because he would roll on his back and cry about it. If your daughter can lift her head up, it shouldn't be dangerous to put her on her tummy.

Of course for the longest time DS only slept about 10-15 minutes at a time until finally going to bed around 11pm until 7am waking up about 5 times during the night. Now he goes to bed around 7pm and generally gets up 2-3 times before I get up around 6:30.

An_222604 replied to phoenix31674's response:
How old is your son now? Our daughter will sleep for 3-4 hours at a time during the night in the cradle. I did put her on her tummy once and she loved it, she fell right to sleep. I'm just so scared to leave her like that because it is drilled into new mommies to never put babies on their tummies.

MrsL9 replied to An_222604's response:
My son is almost 6 months old and has slept on his tummy since we brought him home. It scared the crap out of me and i would always be waking to check his breathing, but he refuses to sleep on his back. The minute he rolls over he's wide awake. So because he is a tummy sleeper, we got an Angelcare monitor and it has been a godsend. I can sleep through the night knowing that my son is safe from SIDS bc the monitor will go off if it doesnt detect any movement for more than 15 seconds. Its so sensitive it can detect even the slightest movement like shallow breathing. It will go off sometimes if he tucks himself wayyyy into the corner of his crib but that has only been a handful of times. DEFINATELy worth the money for the good nights sleep and knowing your LO is safe!

NoramaeB replied to MrsL9's response:
Thank you so much!

NoramaeB replied to MrsL9's response:
Would you recommend getting the Angelcare monitor with both the movement and sound sensor or just the movement? I already have a sound monitor, so I'm thinking I could just conitnue using that? I checked them out on Amazon.com and I think we're going to get it. The unit with the temp reading, is that also the sound monitoring unit?

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to NoramaeB's response:
FYI - A list of monitors recalled just a few months ago.

Also, see important safety info regarding placement of cords....http://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/news/20110211/infant-deaths-spur-video-baby-monitor-recall

NoramaeB - did you buy one yet? What brand did you go with?

Haylen

Balcerzak replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
We did. We bought the Angelcare monitor. It arrived on Friday but I have only put DD to sleep in the crib for naps. It seems to work great, I'm just too nervous to put her on her tummy at night. We tested it a bunch of times before naptime. Even though its obvious that's how she prefers to sleep, I'm so scared something is going to happen.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to Balcerzak's response:
How old is your little one? I was so nervous too - anytime my eyes opened and it wasn't because of my daughter crying, I still ran over to check on her.

The back is the safest position due to the risk of SIDS. But babies do move around as they get older! Here's information from the WebMD Health & Baby Center:

As babies mature, they learn to roll from their backs to their stomachs. Babies who roll onto their stomachs during sleep do not need to be continually shifted onto their backs. However, always initially place them to sleep on their backs.

For more information about safe sleep, visit the WebMD Baby Health Center .

Haylen

An_222605 responded:
I would let her cry for a little bit and go in to calm her every 5-10 minutes (sooner if she is REALLY SCREAMING and you are afraid she is going to make herself sick) google and read about the furber method

here is my experience:

Our daughter is 6 months old, she has been in her crib for about 2 months (she took her naps in there sooner) She used to cry and fight bed time then I found a blanket called a "swaddle me" and she LOVED it..when she out grew it I had to make my own because she refuses to sleep without it. It gives her that same cozy feeling...i also put a blanket on top of her and tuck it around her sides so she has that extra support at her sides that her bouncy seat gave her (that is the only place she would sleep as a new born) But even with the swaddle me she would do the same thing as your little one...wake up 30 minutes after going down every night....i would go in to comfort her, give the pacifire back, etc...and the fight would last for hours.....finally last week i gave in and let her cry it out (only going in a couple of times to give back the pacifire) and she cried off and on for a little under an hour, and we haven't had a night of crying sense!

Also i recomend a battery powered mobile with a remote so that it can be turned on without her seeing you (this was a life saver when we decided that we had tried everything else and just needed to let our daughter "cry it out")

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to An_222605's response:
I forgot about the Ferber Method! I had the book beside my bed for months.

Read about "Ferbering" here: Getting Your Baby to Sleep Through the Night

CONGRATS on non-crying nights!

Haylen

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi there, My name is Ange. I am the proud mommy of four beautiful children. I have two DD's and two DS's. My girls are 13 and 3 months and my ...More

Helpful Tips

Wake up WEB MD!
You've probably noticed that we've gone from posting several notes every hour to only a handful per day. The new system is NOT working so ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 58 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.