Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
She always fights her sleep!
jjs11 posted:
Hi guys. I am a first time mother of a 5 month old little girl. She is such a good baby who is very pleasant and sweet. BUT when she gets tired, she will let you know. She will start getting fussy and rubbing her eyes, so I will pick her up, cuddle with her, and then lay her down in her crib with her mobile on/music playing.

As soon as I lay her down (i lay her down on her tummy because that is the ONLY way she will fall asleep), she starts the loud, non-stop crying unless I pick her up. She will roll over on her back crying even louder wanting me to pick her up. I just keep turning her over, rubbing her back, putting her pacifier back in her mouth, etc until she falls asleep. She WILL eventually go to sleep, but it takes anywhere from 10-20 minutes to get her down for a nap, and up to 30 minutes at bed time! Is this normal?? I let her cry it out sometimes, and I feel so guilty! :(

P.S.- she is on a routine and it's the same old stuff. I give her a bath around 7:30-8pm, a massage, a bottle, i cuddle with her, etc and then she is in bed by 9pm, 9:30 at the latest. she is also a very good sleeper...once she goes to sleep. she will get up around 7-7:30am every morning for a bottle and then go to sleep 10 minutes later and sleep until her next feeding at around 10:15am. Is she getting TOO much sleep? she takes 2-3 more naps during the day, one being 2 hours and the others being 45 minutes to an hour.

sorry, i feel like i was rambling...

ChristenMarvin responded:
My 5 month has pretty much the same sleeping pattern. She sleeps good all night. (9pm-7am) Has her bottle when she wakes and will go back to sleep for about a half hour longer. Wakes and plays for a couple of hours then takes about an hour nap, sometimes longer. In the afternoon she has another nap, sometimes short and sometimes long. I guess its just the way they want it. I worried about her sleeping too much also, but when she is awake she is happy and playing!! It's just her pattern. I would worry about it :)

HaveFaith1224 replied to ChristenMarvin's response:
wow, my 14 week old does not sleep through the night and has only once. I wish I could get him down at 9pm. He's up till 11 and sometimes later. I know it's because DH and I are night owls, but I try to get him down earlier and he just wants to be us with us and playing. I'm having such a hard time with getting him to sleep. He fights sleep too. It's hard because we have a small apartment and he can see the light and hear the tv on. He takes naps through the day and will sleep for about 2-3 hours in the morning and then about 20 min. naps sporadically throughout the day. How do you get your kids to sleep through the night? I BF only.

jel0267 replied to HaveFaith1224's response:
When you say you BF only, you mean breastfeed or bottlefeed formula? Breastfed babies aren't good at sleeping through the night because they digest breastmilk quickly. From what I hear formula fed babies start sleeping through the night earlier. My friends baby is 5 days older than mine (almost 5 months), he is formula fed and hes been sleeping 10-12 hours at night for a while now. My baby is breastfed and she laughs at the mention of sleeping through the night.

jel0267 responded:
How long have you been doing this with her? I was just reading in my AAP guide the other day that some babies will cry every night when you put them down (versus what you hear about how they are supposed to stop crying after a few days/weeks). I would say that as long as she's not acting withdrawn and somber during the day (as if she's mad at you for letting her cry) then keep doing it if it works for you. I tried the other day to let my 4.5 month old go to sleep by herself and she acted mad at me the next day, so I'm not going to try it again anytime soon. One more thing, I have heard that you should put them down before they start showing signs of being tired. I haven't tried it but it sounds like it might work well for you since you have a timed routine down. So if possible maybe you could start her bath and all that 30 minutes sooner and see what happens.

Anon_58325 responded:
jjs11...wow, I wish that was our problem. Our 4.5 month old goes to sleep easially, but wakes several times during the night still. She only take 30-45 minute naps. i would give anything to have her have the nap schedule your little one does.

I am reading a book called Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child, and one of the main points of the book is that babys should be going to bed much earlier than you would think like 6-7 oclock. It says to catch them before they get overtired. I know when my baby gets over tired she goes nuts when we try to put her to sleep. This book also says that sleep begets sleep, meaning the more sleep they get the better they sleep! So no, I don't think your baby is sleeping too much at all.

I know exactly how you feel about crying it out. It often works but it is almost phyically painful for me to do it. When we first started doing it I was so excited because it worked so well, but I now feel like there is so much grey area with it. I worry she is uncomfortable or hungry...and I have trouble sticking to the routine of letting her cry it out.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Ihave a sweet baby girl, Claire, that was born on 1/26/11 after an induced labor ending in a c-section.

Helpful Tips

Finding exchange boards...
Okay, if you manage to find the board your looking for, look on the top right-hand portion of the page. You will see "Join this Exchange". ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.