Skip to content
MY 3 MONTH OLD EATS AND PUKES MORE
chicagolove posted:
My son is 13 weeks old and has been a healthy happy baby, eating and sleeping fine since about 6 weeks, untill a couple days ago, he is eating alot more and puking alot more, and no sleeping through thr night anymore. He has been more fussy for a week or so and i think its cause hes teething, but the eating, puking, sleeping thing im not sure of. At first i was thinking the more food cause of a growth spurt but in the couple of spurts ive noticed before the food intake went up for a few days but no change in spit up or sleep like this time, have any of you experienced this? Im thinkin hes just not satisfied with a bottle and want some cereal but i dont want to rush him. I have a message in to the peds nurse but who knows how long that could take, i dont want to freak and take him in for an office vist that he doesnt need, any advice is appreciated

rhendey responded:
My 3mo is also acting similar. She never spit up and has started at least once a day now, she seems to never be satisfied with bottle ( I just upped her from 5 to 6 oz) and going to see if that works better and she started not sleeping as well through the night. She normally sleeps 9-6 but last night woke at 330 and demanded a bottle. Ive been assuming its a growth spurt but its gone on now for 3-4 days.

jel0267 responded:
I'm sorry, I don't have any advice for you. I would check with the dr. honestly. If hes eating more and then spitting a lot up afterward maybe he is eating too much then? Are you sure he wants to eat as much as you are giving him? It would be helpful to know how many ounces he is taking in at a time and over the whole day.

chicagolove replied to jel0267's response:
Well at the time i posted this question he had been eating 5 to 6 oz every feeding, sometimes more and sometimes less but that was average, ending up around 45 to 55 oz a day for about three to four days. I also was worried i was giving him too much but when you feed your baby 5 oz and he wants more, id give it to him. Trying to avoid unneeded feedings, if it had only been an hour or so, i would try everything i knew to do to sooth him before feeding, rocking, walking, singing, swinging, his playmat or doughnut pillow, eventually it was only food that made him happy. To update i have consulted our dr and she said i could try cereal in bottle to help with spit up and cereal with a spoon to see if he might be ready. Well the cereal in his bottle seems to have made a decent difference in the amount he spits up and keeps him from wanting to eat every hour, so now his formula intake is back at a normal level, of course hes getting cereal in that so it is still more food. He didnt care for cereal from the spoon but seemed very interested in trying to eat from the spoon, so i bought some first stage carrots and he loved them, only problem is he seems to love eating, cereal mix and veggie but always cries after hes done with his very small amount i give him, usually 3 small spoonfuls, im trying to contact dr again about that. But happy to say he is going 2-3 hrs before really getting hungry and is taking good naps and sleepin well at night. I know ill get hell from some for giving him cereal and stuff when hes a couple weeks shy of 4 months, but even being a first time mom i feel i now my baby, and all babys are different, mine wanted food early.

annzer responded:
my baby just turned 3months old last week. my son drink 5oz milk and 2oz water every 4hrs, but sometimes he seems like turning back to 1month waking every 2hrs for feed but he don't then cry which is not quit normal... when i carry him up for 15-30mins, he burp sounds like adult do that then suddenly he calm down and fall back to sleep.
just as early as now i discovered something that can help too.
i bought pacifier 4days from now 'coz i now that that can help prevent my son's thumbsucking. what i do now is: after i feed him... i carry him and wait to burp... and when he's tru and start thumbsuck... i give him the pacifier. he'll swallow it when he's satisfied just let him have it overnight. just to remind you if you're planning to use pacifier too... just don't give it to him if he's hungry... otherwise he'll get tummy gas or wind.

jrap1978 replied to chicagolove's response:
My son was around that age when I started him on cereal,he was at 8oz of formula every 2 hours and was very interested. My DD however is happy with 6oz every 3 hours.Im starting her at 16 weeks to the day LOL she looks us up and down every time we eat.I say whatever works for you and is ok by your doc is fine....
and annzer,is there any reason why you're giving your baby so much water? my pedi said 2oz a day was ok,but not 2 oz every feeding. they get plenty of water from breastmilk or formula

Spotlight: Member Stories

hey my name is elizabeth im 21 years old and my DB is 25. our daughter kaydan was born on 12/4/09 at 5:27 in the morning after having to be induced a...More

Helpful Tips

Finding exchange boards...
Okay, if you manage to find the board your looking for, look on the top right-hand portion of the page. You will see "Join this Exchange". ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.