Skip to content
my 4 month old wont gain weight
taraw1228 posted:
hello,
my son is 4 months old and he only weighes 10lbs 9oz. He had surgery when he was a month old for plyoric stneosis (thickened stomach muscle). I was told that he should bulk right up afterwards, but he hasnt at all. We went to the doctors on friday and she had him get blood work done but they all came back normal. He has had a really bad cold like a month ago and still coughs a lot. He just recently started getting eye boogers a lot too. He eats all the time, to be exact he has about 5 or 6, 7oz bottles a day plus babyfood, but still wont gain weight. Im so worried. He is fine mentally, also he is 241/2 in long, so he is good when it comes to length too. Please if anyone knows what could be wrong please tell me.

StarryGrrl responded:
Hi Taraw,
I can relate to the stress you are feeling. My first child, a son who is now 3 years old, had 2 surgeries on his intestines before he was 6 weeks old. For several months after the surgeries he hardly gained any weight and was in the bottom 3% for weight. He weighed just 11lbs. and 4 months old, so just a little bit more than your son. I worried a lot about his health and weight gain, but just continued doing what I was doing because the doctors and surgeons said he was okay. Around 8 months old my son started putting on weight and by the time he was a year old he was 19lbs.! At his 2 year check up he was in the 50% for weight! He is happy and healthy and doing great now. I think it takes awhile for their little bodies to recover from something as tramatic as surgery. I hope your son starts gaining weight soon! I wish you and your family the best.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 19 and have a 5 month old son, Jayden, and a 4 year old step daughter, Alexus. I am happily married since June 9,2011. Since this is my first chi...More

Helpful Tips

To WebMD
Please give us our old message boards back. I think you're going to lose a lot of users. Problems: * The newborn to 3 month board is ... More
Was this Helpful?
98 of 116 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.