Skip to content
Going Back to Work
Anon_58325 posted:
Hi Everyone...My baby was born in March and I have been lucky to be able to stay home with her for the past 4 months. I will be going back to work as a teacher when she is about 6 months old. When I was planning for baby and pregnant I knew it would be difficult to go back to work but now that she is here the pain of knowing I will not be with her everyday is starting to become unbearable. I knew it would be hard but I am having an extremely hard time with this already. I feel physically sick thinking about it and have spent the majority of several days crying at the thought of being away from her for 8 hours a day. I trust and am confident that she will be receiving good care at the home daycare provider we have chosen and we really don't have a choice financially... I have to go back to work. Does anyone have any advice to ease the pain of this?

ami_nix responded:
I had to go back to work when my son was six weeks old and for the first few days, I cried all the way to work. I'm lucky though that his Dad is able to stay home with him (he goes to school online) and my mother (who is disabled) helps with childcare when he is busy so, he's always surrounded by family and love.. it doesn't necessarily get easier but, it definately gives you something to look forward to.. I get home and my little guy gets all excited and gives me that little toothless grin and it makes the whole day worthwhile no matter how frustrating my day was before. And because I'm gone 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, our nights and weekends together are that much more special. Another thing that helps, do you know your daycare provider well enough to feel comfortable asking them to take pics or videos for you? My husband will get our camera and make a video whenever he does something new and will sometimes send me pics via camera phone to my e-mail to brighten my day. It helps to make me feel that I'm not missing out on so much. Hope this helps
Noah's mom----when a new baby laughs for the first time a new fairy is born and as there are always new babies there are always new fairies. - J.M. Barrie, Peter and Wendy, 1911

brewbaby responded:
It is so hard to go back to work. My son was 3 months when I went back and I was physically sick for lioke the month before and I cried pretty much the whole week leading up to my first day back. It was nice to be at work and see my coworkers again and interact with adults but it is still an every day struggle to say goodbye to my lil guy. I hate it so much! I work 6 days a week 4 to 6 hours. I am always home bye 1:00 at the latest so I dont miss much of his day and his daddy takes care of him. SO I have it pretty good. His boss told him he can no longer have a set schedule tho and we have until sep to figure something else out. We are seriously considering drasticlly cutting our expenses so I can stay home with him. I just don't want to pay someone to raise my child for me.. My husband only makes 9 bucks an hour at his current job. I told him he has to find a better one asap. I will move where ever and do what ever to be home with my lil guy! Millions of women work and are moms, it is definatley do-able and once you get a routine set up it gets a lil easier. Being with your child is something to look forward to everyday after work and it helps you to always appreciate the time you have with your child. It does suck though, and I am a firm believer that you can make staying home happen if you are willing to do some major sacraficing. It's completly up to you, your husband, and what you both feel is best for your child!

Anon_148081 replied to brewbaby's response:
It does take sacrifice. However I have never read on a tombstone, "I had a great career."

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 24 years old, and a first time mommy. Aidan was born on 10/09/09 at 11:47am, 7lbs 15oz and 20 inches. At four months he is now 13lbs 8oz and 26 i...More

Helpful Tips

Wake up WEB MD!
You've probably noticed that we've gone from posting several notes every hour to only a handful per day. The new system is NOT working so ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 58 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.