Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Our 4 month check up
Kristianasmom posted:
Today was my daughter's 4 month appointment to get her second set of shots and get her physical. She weighs 15lbs 7.5oz and is 26'' long. My pediatrican says shes eating too much she still eats 4oz at a time every 3hrs. Does anyone else think the dr is being a little ridiculous I think shes perfectly fine she's not off the chart shes just in the 90 percentile....help me out

ami_nix responded:
A baby is supposed to double their birthweight between 3-4 months.. My son will be 4 months tomorrow and weighs a little over 13 lbs. He weighed 6 lbs 8 oz. when he was born. He eats 5 oz every two to three hours plus he gets cereal at night. I don't think you are overfeeding, if your little girl was full, she'd stop eating. Honestly, if it were me, I'd look for another Pediatrician.
Noah's mom----A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, home happier, clothes shabbier, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for. by an unknown author

Katya1985 responded:
My first son was eating only 4oz every 2-3 hours too at 4 months but he was a big boy too. He was in 80-90% too. My doctor told me that as long as his length, weight and head measurements are pretty equal and proportional like 82-87-81 then the child is perfect. Some babies are bigger some are smaller but all of them loose weight when they start walking. Do not worry. And the doctor is weird for saying that she eats too much.

kay_kay75 responded:
I think you need to find a new pediatrician, my daughter is 6 months now weighs 16lbs 5oz, and is 27" long, she eats 4-6oz bottles and 2 - 4oz bottles as well as one tub of baby food a day, our doctor has said nothing about her being overfed. I think your Pediatrician is just old fashioned maybe?

sdadkin responded:
My son is 3 and a half months old and he eats 4-6 ounces around every 3 hours. I am not sure how much he weighs now but at his 2 month check up he weighed around 11 pounds. My doctor never said anything about him weighing too much or eating too often. It sounds like your daughter is perfectly normal.

Kristianasmom replied to ami_nix's response:
Ok thanks, that's not the first time I've heard about finding a new Pediatrician for her. I'm thinking thats my best option right now. Thanks again

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a new mom to Noah, currently 4 months... he is the most wonderful baby and the best thing that's ever happened to me :) I joined on here b...More

Helpful Tips

Finding exchange boards...
Okay, if you manage to find the board your looking for, look on the top right-hand portion of the page. You will see "Join this Exchange". ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 27 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.