Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Rice vs Oatmeal Cereal
sdadkin posted:
Which cereal are you supposed to start out with? My son is 4 1/2 months old and we started him on rice cereal last week (he still hasn't caught on yet). I was pretty sure the Dr told us to start with rice, but my mom and my aunt say you should start with oatmeal. Which one is easier for babies to eat? I thought they were the same, but I guess I was wrong. Would the type of cereal I am feeding my son affect the way he is able to eat it? I never had this problem with my now 2 year old DS. He loved it right away, but I think we started him off on oatmeal.

Olivetre responded:
I started my daughter on rice also. I think that either would be okay just as long as it is the single grain variety. My neice was allergic to rice so they used oatmeal. Once I knew my daughter was not allergic I tried oatmeal also and she seemed to like it better.

ami_nix responded:
We started my son on rice cereal at 4 months and then at 5 months tried him on the oatmeal. He likes the oatmeal more but it makes him constipatedso, we switched him back to rice. My Pediatrician said that either is fine as long as it is a single grain cereal.
Noah's mom----A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, home happier, clothes shabbier, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for. by an unknown author

kay_kay75 replied to ami_nix's response:
My daughter hates them both, she makes a gagging face when I give her cereal and she is 8 months old, so I just give her baby food. She is getting better with that too. She gets more formula than anything but I am going to try the cereal again in a week or so maybe with some fruit in it to see if she will like it better.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi there, My name is Ange. I am the proud mommy of four beautiful children. I have two DD's and two DS's. My girls are 13 and 3 months and my ...More

Helpful Tips

Finding exchange boards...
Okay, if you manage to find the board your looking for, look on the top right-hand portion of the page. You will see "Join this Exchange". ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.