Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
some one please read (:
An_240972 posted:
So my soon is 3 months old and lately he has been getting supper fussy for no reason, i thought it was because he was teething but there isn't no teeth coming in yet? he has always been a very very content baby so i don't know what to do?

And i started him on baby food because he was going through so much formula, is that to early or a bad thing? And is it a bad thing to make your own baby food with the baby bullet? or is it safer to buy it from the store?

kay_kay75 responded:
3 months is too early for baby food, their digestive tract is not prepared to process food at that age. The only time you should give baby food is with the advice of your doctor.

He is probably teething, my daughter started around the same age, but remember the teeth have to come through the jaw to make it to the gums and that takes some time. The fussiness might be because you are giving him food.

Homemade baby food can be safe as long as you are following safe food handling guidelines. Also remember that babies can not take the spices that would normally be in adult food so eremember very bland for baby food.

Try www.wholesomebabyfood.com for some ideas on baby food.

HTH

wmatto83 responded:
Yep I just started baby food with my little guy a few weeks ago he was 5 months yesterday so yea 3 months is a little early wait at least until he is 4 months and even then start on cearal first to see how his belly will handle it. I never make my own food...I am not that energetic lol...so i can't help you out there. Also your Doctor will tell you when it is okay to start foods.

camsmom11 responded:
My LO is also three months. He has been very fussy too and taking lots of formula. I did try cereal, but he hated it. How many ounces are you feeding him? Maybe you could increase on the ounces. HTH.

mommyin2011 replied to camsmom11's response:
my son is also 3 months...i give him a 5 oz bottle of formula with 1 1/2 scoops of rice cereal at night and it reall keeps him fuller longer. durning the day, he will drink a 4 oz bottle prob. one or twice a day, the rest of his bottles, he will only drink 2oz. cant get him to drink more.
~proud mommy of a beautiful baby boy~

kay_kay75 replied to mommyin2011's response:
mommyin2011,
How often is your son eating? how many oz in total is he eating? It may be that he is eating often so doesn't need as much, if your doctor told you to do the cereal that is good if not and you are doing it to "help" him sleep I urge you to mention it to your doctor. He is very young to be eating cereal already.

mommyin2011 replied to kay_kay75's response:
dont give him cereal to help him sleep. i want to make sure that he is getting enough to eat at night before bed. My mom and aunt told me to do this...he usally drinks about 4-5 oz at bedtime. through out the night (he wakes up around 1am-3am &5am) he has about 2-3 oz. durning the day, he will only have about 2-3 oz per feeding (about every 1-2 hrs).

this is my first baby, so not really sure if all is normal.

kay_kay75 replied to mommyin2011's response:
The cereal in the bottle is very old school and not healthy for the baby, with the cereal in the bottle the baby doesn't realize they are full and this could possibly lead to overeating when they are older because they don't learn to listen to their bodies. I would ssay if he is eating every 1 to 2 hours that is why he is taking so little at a time, see if you can make it every 2 and he should take more. I would definatly talk to the doctor about the cereal because most don't suggest any solids or cereal until after 4 months when their digestive systems start to mature.

Anon_125277 replied to kay_kay75's response:
I agree with you. he doesn't even need it. when he has his cereal bottle, he will eat about 4 oz (just like a normal bottle) but he does take it faster. I will lay off it now. he will be 4 months at the end of this month and I will talk to the Pedi and see what he suggest as far as cereal.

thanks!!!

mommyin2011 replied to Anon_125277's response:
^^^^that's my response, not sure why I hit the anon. key^^^^

thanks again

jminer333 responded:
My son has been on baby food since he was 5 weeks b/c he was going through so much formula. Little bits at a time, and one food color at a time. My dr said if hes not reacting badly to it, then it's fine. I also made my own food b/c it was cheaper. It's not worse than the jarred stuff, if anything it is better.
Use your own judgement. 6 months is the recommended age for baby food, but everyone is different.
I was also started on baby food at 5 weeks and I had no problems either.

Anon_165029 responded:
I started my baby on cereal and veggies early at 2 months old. The reason I started food was because he was drinking more than 8 ounces of formula and was still hungry. He is also in the top percentile of height and weight. He has had no problems and is not a picky eater -- he has eaten every flavor of baby cereal and almost every vegetable available in baby food jars. I never put the cereal or food in a bottle -- I have always fed him with a spoon.

meganvryder replied to mommyin2011's response:
This post is very old so obviously your little guy is much older now but I felt compelled to reply to this. My daughter is 4 months old and I started putting rice cereal in her nighttime bottles at 2 months old to keep her full longer so she would sleep longer through the night. At 3 months I started spoon feeding cereal and she caught on to eating off a spoon very quick. I got a lot of people telling me that she was too young to be doing that but you know what, she was having healthy bowel movements and as long as she was having bowel movements she sould get cereal. She turned 4 months yesterday and I started baby food in the evening with a 4 oz bottle and she gets the cereal around lunch time wtih a 4 oz bottle. This is also my first child. Every Mom and baby is different so you have to do what is comfortable for you and the baby.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Stephanie (23). I am mother to Graceyn Hope born Oct. 27, 2009. And wife to Thomas (23). We have two kitties Myla and Cosmo. I am 2-1-1 a...More

Helpful Tips

Finding exchange boards...
Okay, if you manage to find the board your looking for, look on the top right-hand portion of the page. You will see "Join this Exchange". ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.