Skip to content
burning, itchy nipples?
DeaMom posted:
I posted this early this morning under the breast feeding support community...seems like there is more activity over here so I'm reposting here...see below. Thanks! DeaMom posted: Whenever my son is breast fed directly from the breast, shortly after my nipples burn or itch. (He does not have thrush) If I express milk with the pump sometimes I have the same problem. Does/has anyone have this problem? What can I do to stop the itching and buring? What can be causing the burning and itching?

The last time I had nipple discomfort my doctor said I had a vaginal yeast infection. I did not have any vaginal itching, buring or discharge. (I was a bit more wet than usual though.) He said he saw white stuff that resembled cottage cheese. He prescribed diflucan and I took it. When my lab results came back the test for yeast infection was negative...(i did the labs before I took the diflucan). He explained yeast can be cause by two different (something - I forgot what he said) mono...Anyway, has anyone had/has this problem?

Also, my son has been more gassy than usual...could this be related to my nipples being itchy/burning?

wmatto83 responded:
I can't really help you out cause I do not breastfeed but my cousin had similar problems as you when she was breastfeeding however she kinda let it go too long and her breasts got like hard as rocks....she went to the doctor and they told her she had a double breast infection and ended up having to stop breastfeeding her body just wasn't argeeing with it..... Not to scare you at all not saying that is what it is but maybe make an appt with your doctor again or a different one or at least call and ask if it could be an infection in the breast.

DeaMom replied to wmatto83's response:
Thanks. I'll check back with my doctor again:/

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 32 years old and I have a 17 year old son Jayson, 12 year old son James, 10 yearold daughter Abbygail , and a 3 month old daughter Emily. My husb...More

Helpful Tips

Wake up WEB MD!
You've probably noticed that we've gone from posting several notes every hour to only a handful per day. The new system is NOT working so ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 58 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.