Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pulling Hair
zabroza86 posted:
How do I stop my 4 month old from pulling on his hair? He has adorable curly locks but whenever he gets sleepy, cranky or just flat out curious about whats on his head.
JoAnna: 25, Marcus: 25, Kaleb: DOB 6/16/2011 4 months old, Duke (black chihuahua) 1 year, and Vash (rottweiler/lab mix) 2 years.

nanaof2momof4 responded:
my 23 yr old daughter did that when she was little. I asked my pediatrician about it and he asked if she was also sucking her thumb, and she was. He told me that thumb sucking and pulling hair go hand in hand there is a name for it but i can't remember what it is. I actually came on line today to try and find it because my 4mo old granddaughter is showing signs of starting the same thing. My doctor at that time called it "trictole" thats all i can remember, he said some children will also pull out their eyebrows and their eyelashes. my dughter did not do that. the only suggestion he gave me was to try and get her to stop sucking her thumb. Luckily, when I got pregnant with my 4th child she was only 3 and she told me when the baby comes home she will stop sucking her thumb and to my amazement she did. however, if you get any answers for this I would like to know in case my grandaughter does start this.

zabroza86 replied to nanaof2momof4's response:
Well he isn't exactly pulling "out" his hair, I think its more along the lines of pulling on to feel the texture of it. I know that when I put him to sleep, I do play with his hair (combing back) and I'm guessing he assumes that is only natural. *shrugs* I will be sure to ask my Pedi when I take him for his 6 months shots. As for sucking on his thumb, can't say that he is doing that since he is so young and already teething.

If I get any info, I will be sure to spread the word.

TIA,
JoAnna
JoAnna: 25, Marcus: 25, Kaleb: DOB 6/16/2011 4 months old, Duke (black chihuahua) 1 year, and Vash (rottweiler/lab mix) 2 years.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm Lauren. My husband and I had been ttc for 2 years when in Feb 09 I was at my yearly appt and the Dr came in to tell me that my test wasn't...More

Helpful Tips

Wake up WEB MD!
You've probably noticed that we've gone from posting several notes every hour to only a handful per day. The new system is NOT working so ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 58 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.