Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pacifier
MSettle78 posted:
My son is 5 months and he still cant suck on the paci enough to keep it in his mouth. We have to sit there and hold it in for him to take a nap he doesnt suck hard enough. Idk why ? Any tips

wmatto83 responded:
I know that some babies just never have a desire to take a pacifier. Some babies will suck on their hands or thumbs to soothe themselves more than a pacifier. Maybe some other moms will chime in with tips.
ME 28 DH 39 DS born 5/24/11 2 Brittany Fury Sons (both 5)

lenono97 responded:
Will he fall asleep without the paci? He should be able to self soothe a little at this point so you may just want to consider getting rid of it. He doesn't "need" a paci. I would probably mention it to the pedi at his 6 month appoint. Not sure if a weak suck reflex means anything or not. How does he take a bottle/nipple?

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Katie, my DH and I have been married since August 2004. We were just blessed with an amazing baby boy on November 11, 2009 after several ye...More

Helpful Tips

Wake up WEB MD!
You've probably noticed that we've gone from posting several notes every hour to only a handful per day. The new system is NOT working so ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 58 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.