Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Are just PJs OK?
vaphoenix posted:
Everyone,

We used swaddles (full and partial wraps) + PJs with our son, now 3 months for several weeks.

In the past week or so, we've just put him to bed with his PJs because he likes to wiggle. He seems warm enough and sleeps soundly through the night.

I'm just wondering - is this OK? How long are you supposed to swaddle for? When can you switch to just blankets without swaddling? I know it's too early to just put blankets on. Just wondering what others' experiences were as the baby grows.

- Jenny

Allaya9 responded:
Well, for my son(whose 9 months), we swaddled until he started wiggling out of it and getting his arms free. When he started rolling over and moving around in his crib when he slept we stopped using blankets since he's a suffocation hazard. Depends on your son, if he's comfy at night PJ's are just fine. That's what we do, just put him in a comfy outfit that's not too hot or cold and he sleeps just fine.
Me (36) Hubby (37) - Lochlan Sidney born 9/9/11

oboingo76 responded:
My daughter is 3 1/2 months old and we moved her from the bassinet to the crib 2 weeks ago. At that point I stopped swaddling because she moves all over the place at night, so the blanket doesn't do any good because she just wiggles out of it. I was also afraid she'd suffocate herself. We just put her in pajamas now because the weather is warm. In colder weather I might start putting her in a zip up sleeper in addition to her pj's.

hgreenwood7058 responded:
I know this is an old post but I too only put my son in pj's now. He sleeps in a newborn rock n play sleeper thing which is upright and so he doesn't have much wiggle room but prior to us moving into our house it was just to hot to keep him swaddled. He was born 3/31 and he was getting heat rash in april even though it wasn't super hot out (well not outside-inside kinda toasty). So at one point we would put a receiving blanket (the flannel type) folded hot dog style and put that underneat him in case he spit up and then let him sleep in his diaper. We moved to a house at the end of june and now we have ac woo hoo! lol. So now he wear pj's. If its a little warmer at night then its the pj's with no feet. If its a little cooler then he gets footed pj's. He just started rolling over too so he only gets to play with his blankies when he is awake. He likes to hold them and lick them lol. I can't wait till he is older and I can let him lick a popsicle lol.

Spotlight: Member Stories

HI! My name is Adah. I'm married with 3 children-Xavier 7, Charis 5+ and Tahlia 3months-I love my family to bits! My hobbies include reading,shopp...More

Helpful Tips

Finding exchange boards...
Okay, if you manage to find the board your looking for, look on the top right-hand portion of the page. You will see "Join this Exchange". ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.