Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
don't expose my kid (vent)
jlc78 posted:
I just don't get people. My neighbor asked me to watch her kids on Monday. I show up and she tells me that she thinks her 4 year old is coming down with croup but is acting fine. I asked her if it was anything I needed to be worried about as far as our kids being together and she assured me that everything was fine.

Fast forward to yesterday. I run into her and she tells me he has bronchitis. So I said to her, ok next time you ask me to watch your kids I'm going to have to pass if you think they are coming down with something. She just didn't get it. Her response was, "Well it's not a big deal. It's just from a cold. He doesn't have a fever or anything." Oh, ok. So that makes it all better? I'm sorry but I don't want to expose my kids to a cold if I don't have to. Regardless if there is a fever involved. And regardless of DD's seizure history. Point blank.
Me (31) DH (33) and our 2 beautiful babes DS (6/07) and DD (9/08)

ShayKTen responded:
Given that she probably knows about your DD's history, she should have known better. I don't blame you at all for telling her what you did, I would have done the same thing.

Here is my question..... why would a parent even ask another person who has younger kids to babysit if they know their own child is coming down with something??

I know things come up and as adults we need to handle whatever arises, and I know I have been in that situation where one of my kids may or may not have a cold or whatever coming on, but I either get a family member or a trusted friend who does NOT have LO's of their own to watch my kids for the time being.

sitnooc responded:
I don't get it either. But, good for you for making your point! Yes, kids are going to get sick but she clearly doesn't understand the seriousness of it...

Stay healthy vibes to you all!
Me(31) DH(35) DSD(16) DS(3) and much to our surprise, another one on the way! Due May 24, 2011, pending u/s this Thursday to verify extremely high hCG levels!

mommy5kiddos responded:
Some people are stupid and really just don't get it. It's so frustrating. Especially for you with your DD's seizure history. I wouldn't ever watch her kid again. My cousins are good about bringing sick kids around to parties and family gatherings. It's so bad I don't really go to them anymore. Or I will leave before they come so I don't risk my kids getting sick.
previously mommyof3kiddos..then I had twins :) DS 4, DD 3.5, DD 2, and the twins

Shena1981 replied to mommy5kiddos's response:
Almost every illness that DD has had was caught from my sisters kids. She NEVER tells me when they're sick.
DD gave them a stomach virus (we were together and then that night she got sick. My sister's kids got sick 2 days later) and it was like I was the worst person on earth. I didn't even know and you knowingly bring your sick kids around mine all the time!!!

DD has a cold and I'm pretty sure she got it at a party on sunday. Who brings a sick kid to a party? People boggle me

jlc78 replied to ShayKTen's response:
That's exactly it. Give me a warning a least and let ME make the decision before I show up at your doorstep to do YOU a favor.

Whenever my kids are sick or coming down with something I give fair warning to everyone they might come in contact with.

And she knows more than anyone about everything we went through with DD. Her son has medical issues and she is the only friend that I looked to for support in everything because of her experiences.
Me (31) DH (33) and our 2 beautiful babes DS (6/07) and DD (9/08)

sitnooc replied to jlc78's response:
Okay, see...that's even worse! That makes me so mad for you! Especially because you were able to turn to her for support...grrr!
Me(31) DH(35) DSD(16) DS(3) and much to our surprise, another one on the way! Due May 24, 2011, pending u/s this Thursday to verify extremely high hCG levels!

megmoo78 responded:
Some people don't get it! (((HUGS))) (((Stay Healthy Vibes)))
Megan,DH,DD,DS1,DS2

cinder44 replied to megmoo78's response:
Illnesses can be different in each child. DS was/is sick got an EI & it has lasted all month. DD now has it & *knock on wood* is getting better & so far no EI.

Ppl just don't get it. You would think that with kids she would understand even discounting the problems your dd has had.

Unfortunately once sickness season starts I rarely see my sister & her DS b/c we don't want to share our illnesses with each others DC.
Me, DH, DD(3), DS(3) - twins

tlkittycat1968 responded:
My SIL is the complete opposite. We had a joint bday party for DS and my niece (same age, 2 days apart). One of her sons had a cold so she called people to let them know. Two people chose not to come (1 has a preemie who is 6 weeks old and she's not sure why the other one didn't come since their daughter is in daycare and is exposed to germs all the time). DS had a cold as well and I wasn't too worried about DD since she was already exposed to DS' cold.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a mom to a beautiful Daughter named Hannah Starr. She is my life. Hannah is so smart for her age and keeps my husband and I on our toes. She c...More

Helpful Tips

potty training
Can some give me tip on how to get a 3 year old to poop on a potty chair? My and wife have been trying for several months, he took to ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.