Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
First Job
kandcmom posted:
What was your first job?

My first job, besides babysitting, was at a Kay Bee Toys. Working at a toy store was a blast, especially since me and everyone else there were in high school. The store was in the mall so I did end up spending my paychecks shopping while on break.

For the summer before I left for college I answered phones at Domino's Pizza. That was fun, too, but by August I didn't want to see or eat another pizza for a year.
Tammy (40), DH (36), DD (6), DS (2)
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Shena1981 responded:
I bused tables and did coat check at the Elks club. That same summer I got a job at an equestrian center. I mucked stalls, moved hay bales, cleaned the fields, cleaned the horses, horse tacking, pony rides, fed and watered the horses as well as every other disgusting job imaginable. I got riding lessons in exchange for working. I worked with 2 friends and it was actually really fun I think every kid should do a manual labor job

samijac responded:
I decorated cakes. I started decorating them for money when I was 12 and did that until I was 17. But my first REAL job I guess would be working at a local carry out restaurant.

j9ween2 responded:
I worked at the movie theater ripping tickets & cleaning up all the trash left in between the movies
Janine (Tyler - 5, Bella - 3 and Giana - 6 months)

sarakraut responded:
My first job was working the drive-thru at Arby's. It was actually a blast!

FarmWife1979 responded:
My first real job was working in a drycleaners in high school. I worked there for 2 and half years - from the week after I turned 16 to the end of the summer before I left for college. I worked 3-8pm Tuesday -Friday, 8 hours on Saturday. It was a great HS job because I was off every night in plenty of time to do all my homework. I was the youngest person she had ever hired and she was reluctant to hire me because of that, but after 6 months I was effectively the evening shift manager including counting out the money and locking up the shop for the night. The job was HOT (like 120 degrees inside with all the steam during the summer and no AC), dirty, and sometimes disgusting (you wouldn't BELIEVE the stuff some people leave in their pockets - YUCK!). But, it taught me valuable lessons about being accountable for my actions, the power of the dollar earned vs the dollar given, public relations, and left no doubt in my mind that I wanted to go to college so that I didn't have work this same kind of job when I was 65 like some of my co-workers.

I still laugh when I think of my interview for that job! I showed up in a dress and heels. Since I didn't have any job experience I took along copies of my report cards and standardized test results (to show I was smart and applied myself). I think I also had a letter of reference from one of my teachers. Probably a bit much, but I really needed the job to buy gas for my car and didn't want to work at McDonalds like my brother did.
Holly (31) DH (37) DD (2.5 - born 11/16/07). Full-time working Mom, Wife, Library Board President, Chef, Chauffer, Maid, Toy Assembler and Repair Technician, and Chief Boo-Boo Kisser.

ShayKTen responded:
My first job was at the local humane society doing temperment testing on the dogs to see if they were adoptable and I also assisted the vet that did the spay and neuters for the animals being adopted.

FarmWife1979 replied to Shena1981's response:
I would have loved that job at the stable and worked for riding lessons too! My job at the dry cleaners paid for gas and riding lessons for me.
Holly (31) DH (37) DD (2.5 - born 11/16/07). Full-time working Mom, Wife, Library Board President, Chef, Chauffer, Maid, Toy Assembler and Repair Technician, and Chief Boo-Boo Kisser.

Shena1981 replied to FarmWife1979's response:
Riding lessons are expensive and my parents didn't have that kind of money, so it was worth it to me. Oh one of our jobs, sometimes, was doing trail rides, so you got to ride even as part of the job.

megmoo78 responded:
My first real job was Dairy Queen. It was fun, and where I met DH.
Megan,DH,DD,DS1,DS2

tlkittycat1968 responded:
Other than baby-sitting, my frist real job was scooping ice cream for Carnation which was sort of funny since my dad worked for Crystal at the time. I got the job because the lady who used to baby-sit me and my brother was the manager. I quit at the end of the summer. The owner called me about nine months later because there was an employee (A) who refused to work with another employee ( and employee A remembered me and had liked working with me. I worked there until the place closed at the end of that summer.

breezy_83255 responded:
I worked at a local Deli. The owner at the time (she had just bought it) called me out of the blue on my birthday and asked me to work for her. I loved it!! I also never got sick of the food- I still eat there regularly and I still eat the exact same thing! I will say, however, that I made a better sanwich
Heather- 29, Josh- 30, DD1- 31/2, DD2- 1 1/2, Baby Boy!!!! EDD 2-1-11

Shannan2007 replied to breezy_83255's response:
I was a life guard at a local waterpark... I had a blast, hang out all day tanning (well, various shades of red) and worked with a bunch of my friends.

The only downside to the job was green hair but it still was an easy gig that paid well.

curleysue1968 responded:
I worked at a mom and pop hamburger place. It was so fun. It was all high school kids except during lunch when the owners were there. It was very popular. It was ripped down about 15 years ago and ppl still talk about their fries!!

Now all these years later the wife of the place cuts my hair. Small world.

cinder44 responded:
My first job was as a packer at a grocery store. A few years later I moved up to a cashier & was there for a total of 8 years.
Me, DH, DD(3), DS(3) - twins

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Tammy. I'm married with two kids PJ (5) and Kylee (3). I also have four stepkids and four stepgrandkids (3 boys & 1 girl). We also ...More

Helpful Tips

worried about my 3 year old !
I am worried about my 3 year old grandson!he has been hitting,bitting,cursing,and has been displaying uncontrolable fits of anger.Don,t get ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.