Skip to content
Clothing Size issues!
tiff93722 posted:
I have starting packing up DS summer clothes to prepare for fall/winter. I decided to have him try on all his pants from last year. My little skinny guy still fits into 18-24 month pants! They are way too short on him though! I have tried 2T pants and 3T pants, all with the adjustable waist and they are still huge on him. Any ideas on where to find pants that fit in the waist and length?

BTW, he will be 3 on October 30th (sobbing) and is maybe 29lbs and 36ish inches tall.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

curleysue1968 responded:
we gave up on jeans and my DD pretty much just wears leggings/stretch pants or sweats. We are in the same boat size-wise as you!!

phoenix31674 responded:
I think it's harder with a boy because girls can do leggings. You can try sweats and either take them in or have them taken in. Doesn't look like there are reasonably priced slim fit pants in the toddler sizes.

Not a problem I've had since DD is 3.5 and already in 5T clothes (4 buttons holes in on each side of the adjustable waist) since she's in the 95-97th percentile almost 42 inches and 39 lbs.

jlc78 responded:
Another one in the same boat. DS is a little bit smaller. We've had the best luck with Children's Place adjustable waist jeans in 24 months. He's 8 or 9 holes in on each side of the adjustment but they stay up. They're a bit baggy but as long as he's in a longer shirt, they look fine.

Oh, and I've also found that with TCP (and pretty much every other brand), the fit depends on the lot of jeans. I have some 24 month jeans (same style) passed on from me from there that fit him differently than others.
Me (32) DH (33) and our 2 beautiful babes DS (6/07) and DD (9/08)

im4shoes77 replied to jlc78's response:
I would suggest Lands End 18 to 24 month their pants tend to run Long and big anyway. Also Levis makes a slim fit I have seen them at Kohls, not that my 48lb 44 inch tall 3 1/2 yr old would have that problem.

Stephensmom1214 replied to im4shoes77's response:
I agree with Land's End. DS is almost 4, and the ONLY 2 pairs of pants that we could keep from last winter were his size 3T Land's End pants. Luckily I never got around to hemming those, though, because the length is PERFECT!!
Patty, DH, and Stephen the great (12/14/06)

tiff93722 responded:
Thanks guys. I think for now he can wear some of them before they begin to look way too short! He takes after his daddy, skinny waist and a little butt, nothing to hold his pants up!

FarmWife1979 responded:
We have similar issues with DD - she's tall enough that 4T fits her in length, but I have to pull the adjustable waist tabs as far as they will go and they are still a little loose around her. DH and I were both bean poles as kids, looks like DD will be the same.
Holly (31) DH (37) DD (2.5 - born 11/16/07). Full-time working Mom, Wife, Library Board President, Chef, Chauffer, Maid, Toy Assembler and Repair Technician, and Chief Boo-Boo Kisser.

sitnooc responded:
I am in the same boat. We have found that The Children's Place is the best place for jeans. He is currently in 24 months with adjustable waist. They are cranked about as tight as they go! They are getting shorter for him so I think I will have to go up a size, but we haven't been able to find anywhere else that works.

If you can find "slim cut" jeans, maybe that would be an option for you!

Good luck!
Me(31) DH(35) DSD(16) DS(3) and much to our surprise, another one on the way May 24, 2011!

Shannan2007 replied to sitnooc's response:
I have found that TCP has a shorter inseam and typically runs small.

Gymboree has the longest inseam that I have found for boy pants. Also, Timberland pants have a longer inseam but the are by no means slim, they are usually "baggy".

sitnooc replied to Shannan2007's response:
good to know!
Me(31) DH(35) DSD(16) DS(3) and much to our surprise, another one on the way May 24, 2011!

Kimmy1545 replied to phoenix31674's response:
Glad to hear that we're not the only one with a big girl!
DD is wearing 5T/5 bottoms and 5 tops (a few 6's in things that run small).

She is about 41" and 44 lbs.

I was looking at her next to some of the kids in her class this morning and she is SO much bigger than many of her classmates.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
I had/have the same problem. At 2 years, he was still able to wear 12m pants but they were highwaters. He's put on a little weight but has always been in the 15% or lower on weight. DS has short legs like his dad and a long torso so even though he's 3, 3T pants that might fit him around the waist are way too long.

I've found sweatpants work best. When he was 2, the pants at The Children's Place fit with the adjustable waist almost as small as I could make it.

SumsMom07 responded:
DD is in 4t pants, 5t shirts but from gymboree she can wear the big kids size 3/4. Buying clothes right now is a hassle b/c she has to try them on or I will have take them back later!
Tanya (26) DH (28) and DD Born 9/25/07 - Can't believe how fast she's grown!

mol13 responded:
David turned 3 on August 30th and we are having a heck of time with pants too. He's a little bigger. He is 38 inches tall and is now 34 pounds.

I find that a 4 slim fits him okay, and 3T pants from Kmart.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a former TTCer (powerdoers, but had to change the name so I could create a profile again). After 2 angels I had my DD Lianna in 2003 at 37 yrs. o...More

Helpful Tips

potty training
Can some give me tip on how to get a 3 year old to poop on a potty chair? My and wife have been trying for several months, he took to ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.