Skip to content
3 year old daughter-size of vagina opening??
luvmy2babiesmuch posted:
ok, i am new hear, usually post on 2 yr old board, but DD will be 3 in November. She has been in a full body spica cast almost all of this year, she is a very petite 3 year old, and while doing the hard job of diapering in a spica cast, i was cleaning her vaginal folds, when it just seemed like her opening was sort of small. I hadn't really gotten inside, and like paid attention, she hates that area cleaned, and vaginas are seldom dirty, and you have to be so careful down there anyways,, BUT this time I just noticed.. it just seems SO small, like the diameter of my thumb.. she's had several surgeries where she was sedated and a catheter was inserted at a childrens hospital,, surely they would have noticed if they saw a problem,, what do you think??I do not take her regularly to her pediatrician, at least not in 2010, since she's been in a cast all year-- any ideas, how does your child look??

Shena1981 responded:
I've never actually checked, so I really can't answer your question, but I'd say if none of her Dr's have said anything then it's probably normal.

May I ask why she's been in the cast for so long? I'm sorry I don't remember your story

mrv77 responded:
It sounds like its a labial adhesion. I would put a call in to the pedi and talk to them about it. They might want to see her or they might not. Our pedi told us its something that happens to some girls and it will open up as they get older. Something to do with hormones. If she has problems or pain when she pees that we should take her in. She hasnt had any issues.
Me (32)DD (3)

abbygailsmom1 responded:
Shena-she just posted on the 2nd tri board that her daughter had hip dysplasis and it went undiagnosed for so long that she had to have several surgeries and will be having more. She goes more in depth over there if you want to go read it.
Me (30) DH (28) DD1 (5) DD2 (2) Baby boy Korbin expected via c-section early Jan 2011

Shena1981 replied to abbygailsmom1's response:
I thought I had read something in the past about her having hip or leg problems. I just couldn't remember. Thanks :)

luvmy2babiesmuch replied to Shena1981's response:
THANKS< i just read the posts.. do you think it could be labial adhesion?? I took a peek this weekend, she's about to be 3, but only 20 lbs, so she's very petite, BUT her opening is about the diameter of my pinky, not my thumb.. that just looks tiny!! How could this be undetected? and NO, she's never had any problems peeing, etc.. she just HATES you looking down there,, even cleaning, etc?? she's had catheters,, wouldn't they say or notice something?? does hormones still work if the child is 3?? i knew they gave hormones to infants, to release the skin, but what about 3 YO?? Every single day, I get SO frustrated with Western Medicine!!! yes, she has bilateral hip dysplasia. thanks, please post more,,I can't just take her to her ped,, we're about to sue the clinic.. but before we do, i can take her to one of them, just not her PCP... thanks, i'll let you know,, EZ

Stephensmom1214 replied to luvmy2babiesmuch's response:
Well, urinating would have anything to do with her vaginal opening, as those are 2 separate openings, but maybe you could take her to the doctor just for peace of mind? And if you aren't satisfied, maybe a urologist might be the correct next step.

Obviously, I don't know about this, since I have a little boy... I do believe, however, that if she does have an adhesion, that the hormone cream should still work.
Patty, DH, and Stephen the great (12/14/06)

luvmy2babiesmuch replied to Stephensmom1214's response:
I sure hope that it can be as easy as some cream!!! that would be WONDERFUL... i just made an appt for a doctor in the grpup,, for this afternoon, will keep you all posted.. UNLESS my lawyer makes me cancel the appt.... there are no other peds in my area.. thanks for getting back with me... i'm worried, and aggrevated,, I hate to see this little girl go through ANYTHING else.. she's already going to scream bloody murder at "someone" looking at her jii jii..... she barely lets me clean or look... but I sure hope creamm is all we will have to do, that is if there actually is a problem!! thanks

luvmy2babiesmuch replied to luvmy2babiesmuch's response:
well, my lawyer doesn't want me to go to that clinic,,, SO, since she has an appt with her orthopedic surgeon at the childrens hospital- i'll try to find someone there to check her.. she's not having any problems down there,, her appt is Nov 19, so it';ll have to wait.. wonder who I could get to check her?? i WILLNOT ash her ortho... that's out of the question,., maybe the growth and development part of the hospital??? any ideas??

Stephensmom1214 replied to luvmy2babiesmuch's response:
I'd try urology at the hospital.
Patty, DH, and Stephen the great (12/14/06)

3boysmom1981 replied to luvmy2babiesmuch's response:
I agree with Patty to try urology but I would also just ask your ortho about it (not to check her) but in my experiece at children's hospitals the pediatric specialties all worked really well together and your ortho might be able to tell you who to see.
Mom to 3 wonderful boys (5, 3 and 1)

luvmy2babiesmuch replied to 3boysmom1981's response:
Yesterday, i took her to her otho surgeon, and his wife, a nurse practioner looked at her vagina, and said that it looked normal for her, she's just a tiny little 3 YO, so her vagina is small as well.. she said I could ask her pedi to look at it-- i refrained telling her that i was suing him, ,, so I guess my next option is to find her a new pedi,, which will be hard in this tiny town, thanks for replies,, i'll just keep an eye on it, and see if it gets any smaller.. we had great news at the ortho tho, her hip has healed and set up better than expected. THANKS- Our Lord is miraculous!

Spotlight: Member Stories

im a mother to a gorgeous 3 year old lil girl :) when she was born she was sick but she is 100000% better thank the lord.right now we r dealing with t...More

Helpful Tips

worried about my 3 year old !
I am worried about my 3 year old grandson!he has been hitting,bitting,cursing,and has been displaying uncontrolable fits of anger.Don,t get ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.