Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Thanksgiving
im4shoes77 posted:
So what does everyone do for Thanksgiving?

DO you host?

Do you help?

DO you have people bring a dish?

What foods do you make?

Do the LO's eat what is served?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

im4shoes77 responded:
So what does everyone do for Thanksgiving? My Moms side of the family meets at my parents house after everyone is in from hunting, so around 6 ish

DO you host? Nope My Mom does

Do you help? Yes I will be at her house by 12:00 I am in charge of dips and stuffing

DO you have people bring a dish? Some do some don't mostly the salads and stuff, we take care of the Main dishes

What foods do you make? Turkey, Mashed potatoes, stuffing, Corn, salads, rolls, maybe a roast or ham too.

Do the LO's eat what is served? Yes B-man LOVES turkey, and mashed potaoes.

mrv77 responded:
So what does everyone do for Thanksgiving? This year its at our place. I am glad that we dont have to split between two families.

DO you host? Yes

Do you help? I will be doing the majority.

DO you have people bring a dish? Yes. Pop, dessert, alcohol, and other dishes will be brought from various family members.

What foods do you make? I am making the turkey, mashed potatoes, veggies, stuffing, sweet potato dish. My mom is bringing rice, beans, and homemade salsa.

Do the LO's eat what is served? Yes. We will have a little of everything.
Me (32)DD (3)

HayleesMom2007 replied to mrv77's response:
So what does everyone do for Thanksgiving? We alternate from year to year, one year with DH's family the next year with my family. I have yet to host Thanksgiving.

DO you host? No as of yet.

Do you help? Yes I always help, when we go to my parents I don't some much bring my own dishes other than maybe a dessert but we go over early so that I can help my mom with all of the cooking. With DH family I usually just bring a couple of my own dishes and a dessert to contribute.

DO you have people bring a dish? N/A

What foods do you make? The usuals turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, veggies, dinner rolls, cranberry sauce and of course pumpkin pie. Depending on what side of the family we are with there are a couple different things as well like my mom and I always do celery with cream cheese, deviled eggs and my mom always make sure that one of the veggies is brussel sprouts for me and my dad. DH's family is big of cold salads brocolli salad, waldorf salad, ambrosia (sp it's the fruit salad in the marshmallow cream stuff) that kind of stuff.

Do the LO's eat what is served? Yes this girl loves turkey she also loves mashed potatoes with gravy, sweet potatoes and dinner rolls and last year she loved green bean casserole and cranberry sauce but we will see this year.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
So what does everyone do for Thanksgiving?

DO you host? Nope, go to my parents.

Do you help? Yep. I usually bring rolls.

DO you have people bring a dish? N/A

What foods do you make? I don't cook but my mom makes turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, macaroni salad, green bean casserole, green jello (a type of jello salad), apple pie, and sometimes pumpkin pie.

Do the LO's eat what is served? DS does. This will be the first time DD will be able to eat solids (she was only two weeks old last year) so that should be interesting.

FarmWife1979 responded:
So what does everyone do for Thanksgiving? Usually go to MIL & FIL's house.

DO you host? No

Do you help? Yes - usually bring a dessert, a bottle of wine, and help with setting and clearing the table.

DO you have people bring a dish? - MIL asks me for a dessert because I hate pumpkin pie so I bring the alternative option.

What foods do you make? We usually have turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, broccoli rice casserole, sweet potatoes, rolls, and pies.

Do the LO's eat what is served? Usually at least part of it (the roll?) and that's about it. They are usually so excited to be together that they won't settle down to eat.
Holly (31) DH (38) DD (2.5 - born 11/16/07). Full-time working Mom, Wife, Library Board President, Chef, Chauffer, Maid, Toy Assembler and Repair Technician, and Chief Boo-Boo Kisser.

j9ween2 responded:
DO you host? - yes this will be my 5th year

Do you help? n/a

DO you have people bring a dish? no

What foods do you make? turkey, mashed & sweet pots, corn, green beans, carrots, biscuits, stuffing, cranberry sauce, brownies, choc chip pumpkin squares,

Do the LO's eat what is served? yes
Janine (Tyler - 5, Bella - 3 and Giana - 8 months)

DidiToo responded:
I'm probably the odd one out here...we are going out to dinner. Just the four of us. My parents are thousands of miles away; DH's parents are across the state. No other family around, and I'm not going to cook a feast that DH and I will eat, while the boys may/may not eat it and then run around and we can't get a word in edgewise.

So, I dress the boys up in their suit jackets and take them to a fancy restaurant we normally wouldn't be able to swing with two young ones. And we order turkey. :-)

mol13 responded:
Thanksgiving was our holiday to host for awhile. We hosted in 2005, 2006, and 2007. Then in 2008 David was in the hospital so we had it there. Last year we moved and it ended up being ON Thanksgiving day that we actually got here, so my sisters cooked everything with instructions from my mother, who was with us.

This year we are having it at my parents' house. I anticipate that I'll be doing the bulk of the cooking with my mother doing a few side dishes that she likes and knows how to do better.

We don't have anyone bring dishes because we keep a kosher house and unless the guest also does, we don't want things to be confused.

We have the usual--turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce (the canned stuff is the best but we make real sauce too), and then we do spinach kugel (noodle casserole, basically), green bean casserole, and/or any other items as requested.

Last year Jesse wasn't eating food yet but this year he will probably eat a lot of it. David will probably eat the turkey and might also eat potatoes. Whatever is there, there is something for everyone.
Molly (30) DH (36) David 8/30/07; beat cancer, now needs hearing aids. Jesse 07/05/09; my daredevil!

curleysue1968 responded:
I really want to do what Didi is doing but I am sure DH will veto the plan since he loves turkey and making all sort of leftovers, soups etc.

It's just the three of us this year. I don't DD will each much other than potatoes and maybe some veggies. bah!

If there is a chinese place open for delivery I may put them on speed dial!

VicsEandJ replied to DidiToo's response:
I think it would be fun to go out for dinner on Thanksgiving!

My mom and MIL would probably have strokes though!!!

Lucky woman!
:-)

VicsEandJ responded:
So what does everyone do for Thanksgiving? We alternate between MILs, my sisters and my house. This year, my sister and her kids and my nephew's girlfriend and possibly my mom are coming to dinner.

DO you host? I am hosting this year.

Do you help? I am doing all of the cooking- with DH's help -this year. I help at my sister's because if my mom and I don't get the ball rolling we'd eat at midnight. When my mom cooked Thanskgiving dinner- I think she has retired from this sort of thing- I was the official taster because she never likedd tasting what she's cooking- worked for me, everything was how I liked it ;-) I try not to help at MIL's because her goal in life is to never help others with cooking and cleaning. But sometimes I can't help myself, just to keep things moving.

DO you have people bring a dish? No. I like to plan the whole menu and cook it myself. Donations of wine are always welcome, though

What foods do you make? It depends on who I am cooking for. This year with my kids and my sister and her girls who are basic, picky eaters I'm sticking to stuff I know they like. The boys love beef so I'm adding that. If my mom comes, she's going to be pissed that there are no collard greens- but my kids won't eat them yet. This year I am making turkey, stuffing, some kind of roast beef ( haven't decided yet) gravy, mashed potatoes, turnip, green beans, corn pudding, rolls and cranberry sauce. For dessert I'm making pumpkin cheesecake, sweet potato pie and chocolate walnut-pecan pie.

Do the LO's eat what is served? They will eat some of it- you never know exactly what, depending on their moods but they do actually eat almost everything I'm making. They are likely to eat little of the dessert (DD might, but DS won't) so I'll have to have some ice cream too. I can't wait- I love holidays :-)

DidiToo replied to curleysue1968's response:
Sue...tell your DH that if he wants a turkey dinner, he's welcome to cook one for you. That'll get the fire lit under him! :-)

VicsEandJ replied to curleysue1968's response:
The leftover thing is why my mom would never agree to go out to eat. When we were kids we had turkey meal inspired dinners for a week after Thanskgiving. My mom would make everythign withit. She wouldoften get a 20 lb turkey for her, my sister and me! she did it even if we ate dinner at someone else's house, too!

And she wondered why we didn't want turkey for Christmas!!:-)

Shannan2007 replied to VicsEandJ's response:
VIc - Corn pudding? What is that?

So what does everyone do for Thanksgiving? Going to my parents

DO you host? I was suppose to host, but I whined and my mom offered to take over. :)

Do you help? Yes, I am in charge of the appetizers and desserts

DO you have people bring a dish? Usually not

What foods do you make? I am baking the pies and haven't decided on what appetizers yet.

Do the LO's eat what is served? Most likely not. :(

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have a beautiful 3 year old daughter. We like to dance and sing and act a fool!

Helpful Tips

worried about my 3 year old !
I am worried about my 3 year old grandson!he has been hitting,bitting,cursing,and has been displaying uncontrolable fits of anger.Don,t get ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.