Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
OT Poll: Appliances Running
MrsWhiteCastle posted:
Do you leave appliances (dishwasher, oven, washer/dryer, etc) running while you leave the house?

We went shopping with MIL over the weekend, and she had to turn off the washing machine before we left. She also won't let the dishwasher run unless she is at home. Is this just my MIL's thing, or do others do it too?

I won't have the oven on if no one is home, but everything else I let be.
Emily (5)  Elizabeth (3)
FirstPrevious12NextLast

megmoo78 responded:
I let everything except the stove run while I'm gone.
Megan,DH,DD,DS1,DS2

kandcmom responded:
I usually let everything run except obviously the oven/stove. Sometimes I might turn the dryer off. I get paranoid about the heating element overheating or lint catching fire. I don't know why I worry about it, it's a pretty new dryer.
Tammy (40), DH (36), DD (7), DS (3)

jlc78 responded:
I'll leave the dishwasher and washer on. But nothing else.
Me(32) DH(33) and our babes DS(3) DD(2) and Baby 3 due 8/4 ... yellow team!

cinnabar66133 responded:
No... I don't leave anything running. My parent's dishwasher caught on fire one time and so I'm really nervous about leaving anything on (luckily they were home and caught it early). IMO you never know what's going to happen and it's just not worth the risk.
Cindy (37), DH (36) One angel in heaven. DS is 3 y/o and DD born in 4/10.

TaraKL responded:
I will leave all on but only the oven if I am going to be gone max 1/2 hour. I think your MIL may do it out of habit as Tammy said with newer appliances we now do not have to worry but I am sure when our parents were younger there were reasons to worry about these things with older appliances.
Tara (32) Sheldon (36) Gage (3 in December)

im4shoes77 replied to TaraKL's response:
I will leave on anything but the stove too. If I am cooking or baking and just need to run to the store I will leave the oven on though. DH doesn't like it, not because of fire, but because he is afraid a water pipe will break or plug and we will end up with water damage. My Mom pretty much turns off everything though.

steckie98 responded:
I leave anything but the stove/oven on. My mom is the same way as your MIL though, everything must be turned off.
Carrie (32), DH (36), DS Ashton (3)

VicsEandJ responded:
I never leave anything on when I'm not home. I don't even leav th toaster and coffeemaker plugged in!

I run the dishwasher mostly right before bed.
We don't have a washer and dryer in our apartment. I always let the oven's self cleaner run while I'm not home- but that's because it smells bad when its working.

My sister's neighbors apartment filled with smoke yesterday evening because they left a pot cooking on the stove and went out. They left the tv on too, so presumably they weren't going far or for very long. If my sister hadn't broken open their back door, their dog would've been overcome by the smoke.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
I used to leave the washing machine going but not anymore. DH is a contractor and is doing a job for a customer who had the hose in his washing machine burst and flood the entire house while he and his wife were out. It's a new house and they hadn't even moved in yet. Luckily, the wife's dad had stopped by to drop off congratulatory flowers and saw the water running down the driveway and shut off the water. They have to replace the baseboards in the whole house and the padding under the carpet. Some of the kitchen cabinets had water damage and have to be replaced as well.

FarmWife1979 responded:
Dishwasher, washer, dryer, yes. It drives DH nuts because he'd rather I shut them off while I'm gone, but how in the world am I ever going to get all the laundry done if I never leave it to finish a load while I'm gone?

Stove, Oven, coffee/tea pot, iron, etc. No.

Now, if we are leaving for vacation, I make sure ALL that stuff is off before we go.
Holly (31) DH (38) DD (3-born 11/16/07). Full-time working Mom, Wife, Library Board President, Chef, Chauffer, Maid, Toy Assembler and Repair Technician, and Chief Boo-Boo Kisser.

fensmother responded:
I'll leave the dryer on but nothing else, especially something that runs water. You never know when you might come home to a nasty surprise.

j9ween2 responded:
DH won't let me leave the house with appliances running except the crock pot.
Janine (Tyler - 5, Bella - 3 and Giana - 8 months)

cinder44 responded:
Possible TRIGS*****

dishwasher & washer - yes. I even work for a water company & have seen the water bills from burst washer hoses.

dryer - no

toaster, coffee pot unplugged after use. My DH's grandma died from a fire from the toaster being left plugged in.
Me, DH, DD(3), DS(3) - twins

critty000 responded:
yes, I like the dishwasher and clothes washer to run while we are out. I set the timer for the clothes washer to start an hour before we get home so they don't sit there all day wet. If something is in the oven for a few hours I don't mind leaving it- it shuts off with a timer, too.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband and I have been married for 7 years. We met in college and have been together for 13 years! My son Riley is 3.5 (9/2/06) and my daughter Mi...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.