Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
MY 3 YR OLD COMPLAINING OF LEG PAIN
FP709 posted:
MY 3.5 YEAR OLD SON HAS HAD A FEVER 102 + FOR A COUPLE DAYS FOLLOWED BY A STEADY LOWER FEVER 100.2+ FOR ANOTHER 2 DAYS. VERY STUFFY AND RUNNY NOSE AT THE SAME TIME. DR. SAID IT IS A COLD. NO MEDS OTHER THAN ADVIL/TYLENOL FOR FEVER CONTROL. HE IS ALSO ASTHMATIC AND COUGHING, THEREFORE, HE RECEIVES NEBULIZER TREATMENTS. MY MAIN CONCERN IS HE IS ALSO FREQUENTLY COMPLAINING OF BILATERAL LEG PAIN ESPECIALLY AS SOON AS HE WAKES UP. ARE THESE POSSIBLY GROWING PAINS OR SHOULD I NOTIFY THE DR. AND ISN'T THERE A REASON A CHILD GETS A FEVER OR IS IT COMMON WITH COLDS? I'M JUST WORRIED, HATE SEEING MY CHILD SUFFER.

FarmWife1979 responded:
Fever does often go along with general body aches, for some people those body aches will localize in one place. For me, I always get lower back pain with a fever.

Double check with your doctor's office (a quick phone call) for the correct dosage of advil (ibuprofen) or tylennol (acetominphin) for your son's weight. Too much can cause joint pains.
Holly (31) DH (38) DD (3-born 11/16/07). Full-time working Mom, Wife, Library Board President, Chef, Chauffer, Maid, Toy Assembler and Repair Technician, and Chief Boo-Boo Kisser.

MamaHeather3girls responded:
Hi There,
First of all I do not want to frighten you but when I read your post I had to tell you. Be STERN with your dr to run more tests. I had the same thing with my nephew. He was always running fevers and getting colds. He would complain of such horrible pain in his leg (knee) and that he could not bend it when he woke up. The dr said it was growing pains...then when it didnt go away they said rhumatoid arthritis and gave him medicine for that and pain. It helped for about 6 months when the leg pain was getting unbearable and his leg would lock up on him. He was diagnosed 2 months later with osteosarcoma..he had a tumor in his knee cap. We lost him last year. Whatever you do have xrays and an mri...be paranoid...we lost our little guy because we didnt puch the doctors decisions. If I were you and it was my child I would take him for testing and screening just to be safe! Please..this disease is becoming more prominent in children. Good luck and let me know how it goes :)

futureXwife responded:
Its probably just a cold/flu but it is better to be overly cautious, I would take him back for a 2nd opinion. GL
http://www.projectwedding.com/ourwedding/ericaandjosh

tmfletch responded:
I was researching the internet because my son is having the EXACT same things happen to him as your child- right down to the fevers, coughing, runny nose, and now complaining of the bilateral leg pain when he awakes in the morning or from naps. Do you mind updating as to what happened? Was your son okay or did you end up taking him in to be checked out? Thanks in advance!

Spotlight: Member Stories

im a mother to a gorgeous 3 year old lil girl :) when she was born she was sick but she is 100000% better thank the lord.right now we r dealing with t...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.