Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
help i am at a loss with my 3 yr old
mamaoftwo_11 posted:

I am at a loss with my 3 yr old i just dont have any idea what to do well first she turned 3 on Janurary 3rd and i have been going crazy tryin to get her potty trained she refuses to use she knows how to she has gone before but now its like she wont go at all she goes on my floor like a dog instead of the potty i have even done where i take her every ten min and she wont go and when i take her off then she uses her pull up or my floor im going crazy have tried everything i seriously dont have a clue as to what i can do also another problem she wont talk at all i know she can she is very very smart but she wont talk to anyone she talks to me a little but mostly i have to guess what she wants its very frustrating we also have a 1 yr old and he talks circles around her he talks twice as much as she did when she was his age alot of ppl keep tellin me once she gets in school she will start to talk even my dr said so but im so worried i dont want her to struggle as she gets older and a couple of close family friends have suggested she has austism but im just at a loss i need help and i dont know where to start first her brother is at such a quick pace and she is 3 still talkin like she is 1 and im so worried about her please need help

AJ__Sparrow responded:
Have you thought about getting her evaluated? If, as you say, she barely talks, she should definitely qualify for speech therapy. Honestly, I've never met her so I don't know, but it sounds like you're really worried, in which case, waiting until she goes to school doesn't sound like the right move.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
I agree with the pp about having her evaluated for speech therapy. DS is in speech therapy and has been for about a year since he, like your DD, says very few words. I don't know what state you're in but in CA, once they hit 3, they fall under the responsibility of the local school district. Contact your school district's special education department and ask there for an evaluation. If she qualifies, the district will pay for it.

ryanandleigh responded:
I agree with the others. I would contact your local school district and look into having her tested. If she does need therapy, they can provide it. I would do something now rather than wait until she is older because it would be older to "correct" anything now than later.

That said each child is different. My son spoke less than my daughter has at the same ages. I think sometimes it is that he is my first and my daughter has him to watch and learn from.

As for the potty training, I would back off for awhile. She may know what to do but that doesn't mean she is ready to be potty trained. I would give her a break and try again in a few months.

My last comment...is please put some punctuation into your posts. It would make it so much easier to read.

phoenix31674 responded:
I would have her evaluated. I have a nephew who is very speech delayed and he was recently diagnosed as autistic at 4. He's getting therapy now, but the sooner the intervention the better the outcome. Delayed speech is a huge tipoff and most docs will ask about speech at checkups to look for this huge red flag. it might not be autism, but it would be good to have her evaluated.

That said, my daughter was almost 3.5 before we finally got her to pee in the potty and is almost 4 and we are just now getting her to poop. She is very bright and articulate, just not interested in the potty and not for lack of my asking for the last year plus.

as PP mentioned, punctuation will help readability as will not using the bold and italics. They are meant to highlight individual words and phrases, not the whole post, and it does make reading more difficult.
Me (36), DH (36), DD (3), DS (10/4/2010) and one cat

melissah210 replied to phoenix31674's response:
My daughter is 3 and my niece who will be turning 2 talks more and clearer then my daughter does.. And it is frustrating and you helpless not able to understand your own child but as everyone has said get her evaluated. Your doctor should have referred the child..
I waited because everyone kept telling me "oh when she gets to school she will start talking" then it was " the seperation (me and husband are divorcing) is giving her a set back" then its well shes just acting out and not trying because your pregnant" trust me i have heard it and mothers instinct had enough of everything that she did get evaluated for hearing and speech.. Her hearing is perfect and she does need speech therapy (hasnt started it yet) they said it seems like she is having problems with the tongue placement..

but i have to say I swear she is speaking to me in chinese sometime and I have to do the guessing and pointing game trying to figure out what shes saying and at times i cant figure it out for the life of me that i just say ok..

On the potty. Same daughter 3 yr old. She was completely potty trained, wouldnt wet the bed, we could leave the house without having to worry about any accidents and out of nowhere she just started peeing everywere and constantly again very frustrating because people where saying "oh its becaus of all the changes going on" so i thought yeah your right but then it continued and continued then I noticed an odor took her to the hospital in Dec turned out she had a uti, since then shes had 3 utis.. Turns out thats why she cant hold her pee and just urinates constantly and everywere, when were at home I still have her in panties and yeah she does pee and theres extra laundry but its so she atleast tries to make it to the toilet but when he leave the house or shes a sleep she has to wear a pull up.. After running some tests turns out she has a reflux in her left kidneys (her urine is going back up) therefore causing the utis.

Not saying your daughter has the same problem as mine and kids do loose interest and get lazy and just dont want to do it..

So follow your instincts if you feel there is something wrong then go with it, dont let your doctor tell you otherwise if so go somewhere else and as frustrating as it is your child could be trying to tell you something.

Good Luck and keep us posted..

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have a beautiful 3 year old daughter. We like to dance and sing and act a fool!

Helpful Tips

worried about my 3 year old !
I am worried about my 3 year old grandson!he has been hitting,bitting,cursing,and has been displaying uncontrolable fits of anger.Don,t get ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.