Skip to content
At my witts end!!
JessicaR31 posted:
Hello! My son is 2 (will be 3 in may) and i am about to start pulling my hair out. He refuses to go to bed at night. We have a very set routine (supper, play time, bath and then bed time) every night. The only way he will go to sleep at night is if one of us will lay down with him. It takes him at least 45-90 minutes to finally fall asleep. Then at some point in the middle of the night, he will come into our room and crawl in with us! I want him to be able to go to bed with out us laying there and to stay there. He shares a room with his sister so he isnt alone but she is very good about going to sleep when its bed time. He is in a toddler bed due to him climbing out of his crib.

does anyone have any tips or hints? i am desparate!

ryanandleigh responded:
All I can say is the sooner you break the habit the better. We made the same mistake with our son when he was young. It was easier to break the habit of staying in his room until he fell asleep when he was in the crib but we started it up again after moving him to his big boy bed. What we do for our daughter right now is lay down with her for a few minutes but warn her that we are going to get up and leave. She is usually fine with that though sometimes she comes out and asks us to lay with her again. I would start by explaining to him - maybe in the morning - that you will not be staying in his room with him until he falls asleep. Remind him again at dinner. Then try laying with him for just 5 - 10 minutes.Then get up and leave. If he gets up, put him back in bed but don't lie down with him. It can be a long process depending on how stubborn he is. I think with our son we transitioned him by leaning against his night stand instead of lying down with him. Then moved to standing by the door - sort of a progression out of the room. And whenever he climbs in your bed at night - I would immediately take him back to his room. I found that with my kids that they complained more when we let them lie with us for awhile.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
I agree with the pp. My SIL and brother still have to sit with my nephew and he's 5.

Me and DH never sat with our kids until they fell asleep. Now, DS will usually go to bed by himself if we tell him it's bedtime.

AverysMom07 responded:
Does he still take a nap during the day? We have this problem with our 3 yr. old too but only on days that he takes an afternoon nap. We have started doing quiet time (he goes to his room and plays quietly for an hour) instead of a nap and now he goes to bed without any problems. He may get up once, but we usher him back to bed and he's down for the night.
So maybe your little one just isn't tired. I also agree with previous posters about not staying in the room with him.
Good Luck :)

sweetshanna79 replied to AverysMom07's response:
i hate to say this but this worked for us. we put a tv in my sons room and i play one of his favorite dvds and he falls right to sleep. i know too much tv and blah blah blah but it really worked for us.
me-32, dh-40, dd madison-10, ds william-7, ds wyatt-3. maid, chief laundry doer, butt wiping, boo-boo kissing momma of 4. yes im counting my husband. lol.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm Holly, I'm 31, a Mom to one DD (11/16/07) named Sydney. I work full time for a major health insurance company. In what little spare time I...More

Helpful Tips

worried about my 3 year old !
I am worried about my 3 year old grandson!he has been hitting,bitting,cursing,and has been displaying uncontrolable fits of anger.Don,t get ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.