Skip to content
Mildew Has Killed Tub Time....Starting Over and Need Ideas!
Amelia_WebMD_Staff posted:
As I was discussing with a member the other day, mildew sure does love to grow inside those squirting tub toys and other plastic fun for the bath, especially the ones with holes.

What do you throw into the tub to occupy some fun tub time for your little ones? What do they love best? What is too much of a mess? Bath crayons, paints, Barbies?!?

I'd love to get some ideas, since I just ditched all of "our" tub toys!
(Shhhh, I haven't mentioned anything, yet. :) ) Please help!

phoenix31674 responded:
I use the foam letters and numbers you can stick on the side of the tub. I also just dug out DD's beach bucket set and figure she can play with the sifter, shovel, rake, bucket and watering can. We also have a rubber ducky without a hole. I've never used tub toys that squirt or have holes that can trap water.
Me (36), DH (36), DD (3), DS (10/4/2010) and one cat

FarmWife1979 responded:
I'm the mean mom - bath time is for getting clean not playing. We are in, washed, out, dried, and dressed in 10 minutes.

When she's old enough to take a bath by herself she can linger in there all she wants (I used to stay in there for an hour or more as a 7-12 yr old reading books). Since I'm at work all day, I've got stuff to do in the evening and no extra time to sit by the tub and watch her goof off.
Holly (31) DH (38) DD (3-born 11/16/07). Full-time working Mom, Wife, Library Board President, Chef, Chauffer, Maid, Toy Assembler and Repair Technician, and Chief Boo-Boo Kisser.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
Measuring cups or any plastic cups are good. DS likes the bath poof; he likes putting his hand in the water as it drips off. We also have simple boats.

I used to have a doll called Rub-A-Dub Dolly that was made for the bathtub.

VicsEandJ responded:
My kids play with squirt toys that come apart, you can open them and fully drain the water out- so no mildew.

They are not the best squirting toys, but they squirt well enough to make the kids happy. I got them at BRU.

phoenix31674 replied to FarmWife1979's response:
I fold the laundry while DD is in the tub. It's my 2 in 1 time saving effort since i don't really like folding the laundry. Of course, we have a pretty big bathroom with a layout conducive to folding laundry. i know not every bathroom is like that.
Me (36), DH (36), DD (3), DS (10/4/2010) and one cat

Amelia_WebMD_Staff replied to FarmWife1979's response:
Holly!!!

You are not a "mean mom"! I often use this as a reading time, so I can knock out one of the books before bed if I'm overloaded. Sometimes I color on the side of the tub and/or sing with her as I clean the rest of the bathroom while she is playing. I'm also ALL ABOUT a shower! Quick and easy, but it took us a while to really get into them. She loves them when I say, "OMG, we have to take a shower tonight, so we get to read an extra book tonight," or something of that nature.

Do you gals do showers, yet? I can't remember when we started?

Amelia_WebMD_Staff replied to phoenix31674's response:
Phoenix!

I also fold our laundry, while the LO is in the tub! Sometimes I bring my laptop in the bathroom and we listen to music and sing, while she plays and I fold.

It is by far my least favorite chore. I don't mind washing and drying clothes, but hate folding them and putting them away. :( I seriously would pay my LO big bucks to do it, if she could!

Spotlight: Member Stories

On 7/28/03 I became a mommy for the very first time to the most beautiful angle in the world: Emelie Brianne On 4/30/05 I walked down the isle and ...More

Helpful Tips

potty training
Can some give me tip on how to get a 3 year old to poop on a potty chair? My and wife have been trying for several months, he took to ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.