Skip to content
Would You Lie about the Earthquake?
Amelia_WebMD_Staff posted:
Harsh realities occur and parents tend to "protect" their children from fear for their safety by filtering the truth or straight up lying, so......
  1. Did you and your little one feel the 5.9 quake that hit Virginia today?
  2. What were the reactions and how did you explain the episode?
  3. What other situations have you fibbed about to keep your LO from a possible fear? or do you ALWAYS tell the truth?
Check out other times that parents say it is OK to lie !

FarmWife1979 responded:
  1. Did you and your little one feel the 5.9 quake that hit Virginia today? No - but living along the New Madrid fault line in Missouri, we always wonder when the Big One will hit.
  2. What were the reactions and how did you explain the episode?
  3. What other situations have you fibbed about to keep your LO from a possible fear? or do you ALWAYS tell the truth? I don't lie to DD about things like storms, fires, floods, etc. I think that makes for bigger problems in the future. This spring we had bad storms including tornadoes in our area. We spent a lot of quality time sitting in the walk-in closet with the laptop on so we could see the weather radar. At age 3, DD can read a radar map and know what the different colors mean. She's not afraid of storms because I've showed her that as long as we take reasonable precautions - getting indoors and getting to a safe room when necessary, that we will be ok. We had massive flooding this spring as well, but by showing her that we never drive or walk around in flood waters, we can stay safe.
I have fibbed to her that McDonald's is closed when I don't want to eat there, or that the swimming pool was being cleaned when I didn't want to go swimming. Yes, I felt a little bit guilty about it, but in the long run those things aren't going to hurt her or build bigger fears.
Holly (31) DH (38) DD (3-born 11/16/07). Full-time working Mom, Wife, Library Board President, Chef, Chauffer, Maid, Toy Assembler and Repair Technician, and Chief Boo-Boo Kisser.

leftcoastgirl responded:
  1. Did you and your little one feel the 5.9 quake that hit Virginia today? No, but we live in Southern California and experience earthquakes somewhat regularly.

1. What were the reactions and how did you explain the episode? We haven't had a major earthquake since LO arrived in 2008, so I haven't had to explain anything other than a quick, "Oh, we're having an earthquake" for small tremors. And either because of where we live or the configuration of our apartment building, we often don't feel them at all when we're at home.

1. What other situations have you fibbed about to keep your LO from a possible fear? or do you ALWAYS tell the truth? Well, we tell LO about Santa, so I suppose that counts as fibbing. But I really don't see the benefit in lying about an earthquake. What explanation could you possibly give that would be less scary than the truth? As she gets older, we'll teach LO about getting under a table or in a door frame when a big shaker hits, but for now she's always around adults who will make sure she's safe. And eventually we all learn the life lesson that sometimes bad things happen that are beyond our control.
Me (35), DH (35), DD (3), and our new addition due January 9, 2012!

tlkittycat1968 responded:
My brother and SIL was having a conversation about earthquakes. It's posted below.

Talking about the earthquakes the other day with my kids...
6 year old son - I know what to do in an earthquake
Wife - what?
6 year old - You go under the table
Wife - What if there is no table?
4 year old daughter - You die...

KC_94920 responded:
1) No, but we live a few miles north of San Francisco so are pretty much always ready for a quake.

2) All three of my kids know, in theory, what an earthquake is and all have earthquake drills at school and a "disaster plan here at home. DD2 is 3 and has never felt a quake but she knows how important it is to listen and stay together if something scary does happen. For now, it's enough that she understand that we (or her teachers) will keep her safe.

3) They all fully believe in Santa, the Bunny and the Tooth Fairy and that I see "everything" but other than that I try and be as staruight up as possible.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, I'm Heather. I have 2 very active boys, Aidan=4 and Tyler=3. I have been on webmd since TTC Aidan. I've been married to Terry since '0...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.