Skip to content
Getting out of bed
patchesl123 posted:
My daughter has been sleeping in her toddler bed since she was 18 months. Up until the past 2 months she was doing good. But now almost every morning I get up and she's moved to the livingroom sofa. We've planned on getting her a big bed once we get the money, Xmas over with, and the potty training at night down a little better. I can't lock her in her room because of the night time pottying. Any ideas on how to get her to stay in her bed for a few more months?

RoseLynn02 responded:
Do you think maybe she moves to the couch at night because she know Santa is coming soon? Perhaps she wants to see if she can catch him? Or is the living room darker or more well lite then her room? maybe she prefers the lighting? Personally I wouldn't see her going to the living room all that big of a deal unless it's quit far from your room? I would try to talk to her & see why she does it.

Babyj1017 responded:
My son has done this off and on for the past 6 months or so. Personally, it doesn't really bother me. He navigates the steps fine even with two pillow pets and two blue blankets that come down with him every time.

I always ask him why he comes downstairs, but he never really has an answer. I also tell him big boys sleep in their beds all night. Sometimes that helps and he'll stay in his room for several nights in a row.

But I pretty much leave it at that. If you don't have any safe concerns, I wouldn't worry too much. She'll grow out of it eventually.
Jenny (29), DH (31), DD (4 (7/06)), DS (2 (6/08))

MIOB responded:
I'm not fond of DS roaming around the house alone (we use a pellet stove to heat the house which is in the living room and even though there are 2 gates surrounding it, it just makes me nervous).

We have a stationary gate at his door. Originally it was intended to keep our dog out of his room, but our dog passed away two weeks ago. DH asked me if I wanted to take the gate down. I considered it, but it's a wake up for me if DS leaves his room before we get up - I always hear him opening the door in his gate. He knows how to operate it, which is fine (and good for night time potty training), and the sound is guaranteed to let me know he's up.

If I was bothered by the hour, I'd probably take him back to his bed and tell him it's not time to get up yet - but these instances are few and far between and it's never been before 6am. Instead, it's just a wake up call for me. I just like the comfort of knowing that he's still in his room and not roaming around our house by himself (especially since I don't have the dog there anymore - she was always a good alarm to let me know DS was up as well).

Kind of a rambling answer. Not sure if this helps you at all, but it's what were doing...

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, I'm Sarah and currently we are living in Rhode Island. It's our first foray into New England and we've been here almost a year. I have...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.