Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
SHY 3 YO LITTLE GIRL
Anon_5912 posted:
Hi All,

My DD is 3 and 4 months old, she is a very shy kid. At home she loves to dance, jump, play, she talks and talks, moody personality, she gets mad a lot but she is also happy a lot. She stays home with grandma(who lives with us for several months at a time), so she plays with her more than anyone else. We dont have that many friends so she doesnt interact with many kids. I enrolled her on Dancing classes and the 1st day she wouldnt want to do anything just sat on my lap and watch the kids dance, the second class she was very excited to go but once we got into the classroom she wouldnt want me to leave again. I left her there when she got a little distracted and all she did was stand there crying watching the other kids play, 15 min later the teacher brought her to me and said "we tried", so i got her out of there. She cried for awhile and kept saying that she was scared of the teacher and the little girls. IDK what to do, do I keep trying to take her or do i quit and wait until she is older and maybe she would be ready. I was trying to get her to interact with more kids, but is not working. Should I be worry that she is extremly shy? any advice?

TIA

magsnemma responded:
I have a DD just like yours. She's super outgoing at home, where's she comfortable, but is very reserved with anyone else. We used to have a babysitter, who was just like a grandma to her as well. We moved and had to start using preschool/daycare and I've seen an enormous difference. She is still somewhat shy, but is able to play and interact with the other kids and the teacher.

Is preschool, even a couple of half days a week, an option? What about doing story time at the library or some other form of organized play where someone besides you is leading the group? I found that with my DD, she needed to learn to take direction from other grown-ups, that helped a lot. If the teacher is bringing her back to you, maybe dance (or that teacher) isn't the best way to help bring her out of her shell? 15 minutes isn't enough time to make it work.

Also, small groups versus big groups might help too. I know that my DD does much better with smaller groups where it's not so overwhelming.

To me, I find that for shy kids, learning how to play in groups is a skill that takes practice. For other kids, it just seems to come naturally. I wouldn't worry, she has a shy personality and that comes with different challenges.

miob responded:
DS is the same (and he's been in daycare since he was 3 months old, so it's not an issue of him not being around other kids - he's just shy). I enrolled him last year in the Little Gym. We tried a Saturday class, which was full of kids, and it just completely freaked him out. We ended up switching to a Thursday night which had only about 7 kids. It was a class he and I could do together, so he got the exposure, but I was able to be there to help him and make him a little more comfortable. I plan on easing him into anything where he'd be flying solo just because of his shy personality. And by the end of the session, I was able to step back at the edges of the room while he interacted with the kids and instructor.

Anon_5912 replied to miob's response:
Thank you so much for your responses, I'm trying a mom and daughter dance class this Monday hopefully that would help a little!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a proud momma to 4 kids...DS (2004), DD (2006), DD (2007), and DD (2008)...and if you want to count my DH it's 5...lol. I'm a SAHM wishin...More

Helpful Tips

potty training
Can some give me tip on how to get a 3 year old to poop on a potty chair? My and wife have been trying for several months, he took to ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.