Skip to content
Daycare Vent! :)
Jackie03291 posted:
Just had to vent how much I HATE daycare! LOL

Ava just started at a new center daycare last week and within two days she has picked up a horrible head cold! Runny nose and cough! UGH!

She has been home with my husband for the past 6 months and before that she was in a small in-home daycare, so this has been a big shock to her system I'm sure being around all the kids and germs. I just really hate runny noses!
And I feel so bad for her, because her head must feel miserable, and now it is starting to get passed on to me too....boo!

Anyone else hate daycare and cold season???
Jackie (27) Bryan (36) Ava 10/14/08 Baby Girl 2 Due 5/4/12

magsnemma responded:
Yep, DD started daycare last June. Before that we had a babysitter or she was home with me. Within the first month, she was constantly sick. This year hasn't been too bad, but she definitely gets sicker there than she used to.

I hate it because I get whatever she brings home. In January she got strep and a bad cold. I avoided the strep but I got the bad cold part. So frustrating.
Ali (34) DH (35) DD (3)

jlynnpaine responded:
Shae doesn't go to daycare, but we stopped going to church last winter because every time she went to the childcare center there, she caught something - strep, the stomach flu, a horrible cold, etc. It's so frustrating!

kc_94920 responded:
I've never had a kid in daycare but can attest to the colds and runny noses during that first year of preschool which we call the year of "exposure".

DD1 has a super human immune system but had two colds (has only had four colds during her lifetime) and got hand, foot and mouth during that first year, going only 2 mornings a week.

DS pretty much had a runnynose for 5 months during his first and second year of preschool. Luckily it was never anything serious like strep or an ear infection but it still sucked for him.

DD2 had 2 colds last year but seems to be taking after big sister in the immune department, thank goodness, so not much this year.... yet- knock on wood!
KC~ Mady (9), Logan (7) and Coco (almost 4!!!)

miob responded:
DS has been in daycare since he was 3 months old and he's definitley built up a healthy immune system. He was in and out with ear infections and colds the first two years (I felt like we lived at the pediatricians office). This year (knock on wood), he hasn't been sick at all. And he's been through exposure to colds and flu-like illnesses at both daycare and home (I still don't know how he didn't get the flu-like one especially).

I look at it this way - better be sick and build up the immunities now rather than when they're in school and have to miss school days.

It's never fun when they're sick. I hope Ava's feeling better soon!

sarahann1978 responded:
It's frustrating, but like a PP said, it's bound to happen sooner or later, whenever they get around other kids. We haven't had as many colds this year, but had pink eye, and hands, foot and mouth disease. Since I was 7 weeks pregnant at the time I got the HFMD too, which usually adults don't get it, so fun for my Christmas!

I hope she feels better soon and that you don't get it!
Sarah (33) DH (30) DS (Jan 2009) baby (Aug 2012)

Jackie03291 replied to sarahann1978's response:
I'm just praying at this point that we get through this year without having to take any sick days. I have to use my only five sick days for my first week of disability leave when I have the new baby, and my husband just started a brand new job so it's not like he can take off sick days!

It's times like this when I really miss my old job when I had two weeks of sick leave every year!

magsnemma responded:
KC -I love the year of exposure, that seems pretty right on.

And Sarah, if it makes you feel any better, I got hand, foot, and mouth from my niece when I was in college (pre-DH) and gave it to my then boyfriend. I had the spots on my fingers, but he got them all over his mouth and hands, it was kinda gross.
Ali (34) DH (35) DD (3)

sarahann1978 replied to magsnemma's response:
The blisters in the mouth are the worst, I only had one in the back of my throat, but DS's mouth was full of them and he would NOT eat, drinking was challenging and he even quit speaking for two days it was SO PAINFUL for him. Ibuprofen didn't even touch it!

I had one spot on each of my palms, and a bunch of blisters on my feet, so that is where I had it worst. I remember standing in church on Christmas Eve was painful from the blisters. I tried to look online about the effects on pregnancy and all it said was if you had it at deliver time you could give it to the baby. I forgot to ask my OB about it since I didn't see them until 3 weeks later and I was well over it by then.

sarahann1978 replied to Jackie03291's response:
It is hard when you have limited sick leave. Our Learning Center allows them to come if it's just a cold. They have to stay home if it's severe, or they have a fever. Runny noses are pretty much a given most of the winter,

Jackie03291 replied to sarahann1978's response:
Yeah, Ava is still allowed to be there as long as the boogers are not green and she doesn't have a fever, so I'm just hoping that her immune systems kicks in quick and gets better before it gets worse!

VicsEandJ responded:
MY DS hads been in daycare since he ws 4 months old ( he's 4 1/2) . My DD has been there since she was 8 months old ( she's 3). The first year is really bad, and DS did seem to have a point where he got everything twice and it's rough when they are small, but since then, they have been remarkably healthy- knock on wood-

DC's pedi said that at least we won't have to worry about them getting sick all the time when they start kindergarten and I'm hoping she's right.

There's not much you can do when kids are there with runny noses etc. because with a lot of viruses, you are contagious for a period BEFORE you show symptoms, so that by the time the nose is runnin gor you are coughing or feverish, you've already been exposing people for days. That's why daycares can never really get rid of them.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have been happily married for almost 4 years now. I have a son who just turned 3 in August. We are currently expecting our second son who is due on ...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.