Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Potty accidents
jlynnpaine posted:
Shae has been in panties during the day since before Christmas. She does really well with telling us she has to go and all that, but she has at least one "accident" where she doesn't quite get to the potty in time almost every day and her panties end up slightly wet. Is this normal? It's been months and I just thought that by now, she'd be better about realizing that she had to go and hurrying to the bathroom. I realize that they get busy playing and maybe that's all it is. She just procrastinates about it. We do try to encourage her to go if she's showing signs that she needs to, but do not force her to because that has backfired with regression in the past. Just thought I'd get some feedback from all of you.
Jodi (28), DH (24), Shaelynn (2), DD2 (due 5/16)

magsnemma responded:
That seems pretty normal. Does she mind being a little wet after she goes? I only ask because this used to happen with DD and now she freaks out about the "drips." In my totally unprofessional opinion, it seems like you're doing the right things. I think sometimes they just realize they need to go a little too late. One of those, I'm going to keep playing and ignore this until I can't ignore it anymore.
Ali (34) DH (35) DD (3)

jlynnpaine replied to magsnemma's response:
Usually, she's already running for the bathroom when it happens, so she'll finish on the potty and then get a dry pair of panties. She tells me, "A little bit of pee sneaked out." So she notices it, she just isn't fast enough to get there in time.

ryanandleigh responded:
DD has been trained since she was 2 1/2 and she will be 4 in 2 weeks. She STILL sometimes has damp underwear. I think she waits until the last minute and then goes a little as she is pulling down her clothes. At home she insists on changing her underwear but if we are out she will wear it damp. I seem to remember DS doing something similar but don't recall how long it lasted. I do figure she will grow out of it - DS certainly did.

jlynnpaine replied to ryanandleigh's response:
That makes me feel much better. I was thinking she should have moved past this already since she's had the process down for months but this is still continuing. Hopefully it will get better soon. Thanks!

earleyml1012 replied to jlynnpaine's response:
Sounds normal to me. My DD has been potty trained since July and she still has accidents, just yesterday! Most of the time it happens when she waits too long and is making a mad dash for the potty. If she has sweatpants on, she makes it but if the pants are more difficult to get down, that's when the accidents happen. Also, for a few days she was waking up from naps/bedtime with slightly damp panties but her pants were dry. I asked her DTC about this and she said it was probably due to her cold. When they cough they pee a little. Another thought!

jlynnpaine replied to earleyml1012's response:
Thanks! I feel so much better about this now. She still doesn't stay dry when she's sleeping, she wears a pullup for nap and bedtime because she has always woken up wet and I refuse to keep her from drinking because our house is SO dry at night. She doesn't have a cough right now, but that makes total sense. Heck. I have a hard time keeping the pee in when I cough or sneeze and I've been potty trained for 28 years!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 41 years old with 3 children; 2 girsl ages 23 and 22 and a son soon to be 4-big age difference!!! I live near Albany, NY but am originally from G...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.