Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Need Help! 3 Yr old acting like his baby brother.
mkn48 posted:
My 3 yr old DS was a great big brother for the first year the baby was here, he shared and was active in helping me with the baby. Now the baby is doing more things, standing, crawling, playing pretend with a toy phone etc...and every time we praise the baby for doing something new, the older one needs to have the attention back on him so he either mimcs what the baby is doing (which is annoying to see a 3 yr old do) or he will say something like "when I was a baby, I did that"....yes, we know you did that because we watched you do it and praised you for doing it.

We have tried to explain to him that we are proud of the things he can do now...write his name, play soccer, swim etc...but still, if we turn our focus to the baby, even to change a diaper or clothes and we appear to have the slightest bit of fun without the 3 yr old, it's more attention grabbing behavior.

He goes to pre school so he is around other kids and knows how to share, but just not mommy and daddys attention. Any suggestions?

RoseLynn02 responded:
My daughter did that for a bit & still does at times. It's normal. Honestly I would say that as annoying as it is just give him the happy pleasant praise he is looking for without making a big deal out of it or telling "your not a baby anymore" or whatever else. Eventually they get over it for the most part & they start realizing how they too get praised on their own, but for bigger kid stuff. With our daughters, when the oldest did something to mimic the our younger DD in order to get the same praise, we would look at her & smile & tell her " yes baby, we see. Good job. We are proud of you too hunny." & then we turned our attention back to what they baby was doing for another moment. She kind of figured it out & came to terms & now she praises baby right along with us most times.

Helpful Tips

potty training
Can some give me tip on how to get a 3 year old to poop on a potty chair? My and wife have been trying for several months, he took to ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.