Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Work From Home/Telecommute
cyn22mull posted:
Hi!! Does anyone know of any legit work from home or telecommute jobs?
Cindy (35) Scott (39) DS Christopher 3

Jackie03291 responded:
I believe that a lot of medical transcriptionists/billers work from home. Although this requires a special degree/certificate, so may not be something you're interested in. I would definitely love to hear other people's suggestions here too!
Jackie (27) Bryan (36) Ava 10/14/08 Baby Girl 2 Due 5/4/12

magsnemma responded:
It depends a lot on what you do. Is your current job something you can do from home? I don't know the circumstances or what you're really looking for, so it's sort of hard to say.

I WFH and have since 2008, but I also started in an office. My company was very supportive that I move a lot because of DH's job, so I'm able to keep my job now when we move. That said, DD is also in daycare, because WFH with a small child is VERY difficult.

A lot of sales jobs are telecommute friendly, I know there are jobs that people accept incoming phone calls as well. Contract work is another possibility, like editing or graphic design.
Ali (34) DH (35) DD (3)

cyn22mull replied to magsnemma's response:
My current job is something I could do from home, but the company does not allow it long term. For emergency things it is ok for us to work from home but nothing long term.

I dont really want to pull DS out of daycare...I am thinking more for next year once he starts kindergarden...which i still can not believe he is almost 4.

I have done help desk type work in the past so I could look into a customer service type job.

magsnemma replied to cyn22mull's response:
It's hard. In my experience, the "best deals" working from home are the ones where you work somewhere first and then get to work from home. Is there a specific reason that you want to work from home? Commute? Flexible hours? I will say that while WFH is great, it's pretty lonely too. There's no break room or stopping by to say hi to people. If you are a people person (I'm not and I still think it's lonely) it would be tough.

I also think that working from home takes more discipline than going into an office because there are so many more distractions than you'd think. I just wanted to get the other side of the coin, since people tend to think it's awesome and don't know about the flip side.
Ali (34) DH (35) DD (3)

cyn22mull replied to magsnemma's response:
Thanks for giving the details of the other side. It is a lot to think about, and I dont plan on acting on anything just yet. I am still exploring options. My reason is both commute and flexible hours. I want to be able to take a few hours off in the middle of the day and help with a class field trip, or class party. I guess I should have picked my job and or house location a bit better It's tough sometimes because we have a good house location with ok schools, but both DH and I work 45. min from home in different directions.

magsnemma replied to cyn22mull's response:
Totally understand. Before I started telecommuting, my commute was an hour. It's a pain and it was before I had kids, so I'm sure it's much worse with a LO. It's worth it if you can find something, more companies seem to be coming around to the idea that employees don't necessarily need to be in office to do a good job. If I can help with any other questions, I'm more than happy to. I have learned alot about WFH the past few years, but I'd be happy to help someone else avoid the same mistakes that I made. Good luck hunting, even if it's in the future!
Ali (34) DH (35) DD (3)

earleyml1012 responded:
I don't WFH but I agree with a lot of the comments others have shared. There have been days due to snow/ice where I've worked from home and it's SOOO hard to stay focused plus it was lonely so I can't imagine doing it all the time.

As far is DS going to kindergarten next year. We were thinking about this too. How to get her on the bus/off without having to work part-time? Well in our move to switch daycares, we actually found one that has before and after school care for elementary aged kids. The bus picks them up/drops them off at the center. Maybe you could look into something like that since DS is use to the daycare environment already.

Jupiter12345 responded:
If you want to work from home then online jobs would be a better option.I earn quite a decent income through online jobs.There are many types of earning through online but I found Reselling business a good one where there is no chance of getting scammed.To brief about reselling it is where you promote a service like pre-built website for a higher price and get a commission for it.In Reselling business it is you,who decide the price and profits. So you can charge any amount based on the features of the website.
I will share my experience as a reseller.
I registered and got an account in Goresellers.com and bought a pre-built website with hosting, security certificates,email and other services. I fixed it at a higher price and made profit. Goresellers handle the customer support hence I just have to sell the domains at a higher price.Hope my experience will be helpful to you.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 41 years old with 3 children; 2 girsl ages 23 and 22 and a son soon to be 4-big age difference!!! I live near Albany, NY but am originally from G...More

Helpful Tips

worried about my 3 year old !
I am worried about my 3 year old grandson!he has been hitting,bitting,cursing,and has been displaying uncontrolable fits of anger.Don,t get ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.