Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Chores
cyn22mull posted:
Hi! Do you let your LO help out with anything? DS loves to help with everything so I have started to give him small tasks and he loves it! Just cruious as to what your DC likes to help with.

Right now he will help dust (I spray the cloth for him), sweep, unload the dishwasher, holds the cord while I vacuum, he does also help clean the table after dinner, once in a while I let him help wash any pots and pans that we have from dinner. His daily "chores" are feeding the cat, making up his bed (he usually just pulls the comforter up), cleaning up his toys before bed. And he LOVES to help with cooking dinner. I let him help with that when I can.
Cindy (35) Scott (39) DS Christopher 3

miob responded:
I wouldn't call it anything as formal as 'chores' DS does like to help out and one of his favorite things right now is cleaning the cobwebs with the Swiffer Duster (he's deathly afraid of spiders so DH introduced him to this task as a way to hopefully get him over that fear). He likes to help me cook, too. But his absolute favorite is yardwork. He has a Peg Perego Gator that he drives around the yard, we fill it up with sticks and yard debris and he drives it to the woods at the edge of the property for disposal. It's the cutest thing and really helps me out!

earleyml1012 responded:
UGH!! Webmd is so frustrating...here goes again.

I believe that it's better to get them to start out young helping around the house so they know it's expected.

DD has a few daily chores: feed the dog unless DH is home first, put the baby's bottles from daycare in the sink, help clean off the table after meals, clean up her toys, and get her jammies for bath time.

Other chores she helps with as much as she can: putting dishes away from dish washer, putting groceries away, helping with laundry (moving to dryer and folding), she loves being involved while cooking, and helping with her sister however she can.

Yesterday, we were just talking that we're going to have her help pick up sticks in the back yard before DH has to start mowing again.

lenono97 responded:
Yes, DD likes to help around the house as well. She likes to help set the table, unload the dishwasher, dust, unload or help load the washer and dryer. She also picks up sticks in the front yard! Nothing formal, just asks and I let her. I agree with PP, I don't discourage anything, unless it's dangerous, because I want her to get used to helping around the house so it becomes a natural thing. I never considered formal "chores" but that might not be a bad idea. Maybe start small, like feeding the dog every day and go from there as she gets older.

Jackie03291 responded:
Ava likes helping with chores too. Her regular chores are feeding the dog and putting the clean silverware away when I empty the dishwasher. She also enjoys dusting and going outside to help dad work in the yard. She also likes to hold the dust pan after I sweep and she wants to help clean the bathroom, but I don't let her do that yet! I tell her that when she gets a little older, I will be more than happy to let her wash the bathrooms whenever she wants! LOL
Jackie (27) Bryan (36) Ava 10/14/08 Baby Girl 2 Due 5/4/12

magsnemma responded:
DD feeds the dog (overfeeds sometimes lol), she helps me put away the clean dishes, loves to sweep, and she likes to help me cook. We got her an apron and she stands on a step stool in the kitchen while I chop or cook. Unless I'm doing something that might spatter, she's allowed to help. Sometimes though she just keeps me company, which means she gets out cutting boards, bowls, etc and lines them up to play with.

Oh she also helps me make her bed and change her sheets, and sorts her clean laundry into piles for me. Now that I'm writing this out, she does a lot more than I thought!
Ali (34) DH (35) DD (3)

jlynnpaine responded:
Shae enjoys helping out too. We don't have any formal chores other than picking up her toys at the end of the day. We just let her help out with tasks from day to day when she seems interested. Her favorite is probably "helping" wash dishes, which pretty much involves her playing in the water while one of us does the washing. She also helps set the table, put away plastic dishes and silverware from the dishwasher, put away groceries, dust, loading the washer and dryer, putting away her clothes once they're folded, and scooping dog and deer poop out of our yard. She's still terrified of the vacuum, so she's not much help there.
Jodi (28), DH (24), Shaelynn (2), DD2 (due 5/16)

earleyml1012 replied to magsnemma's response:
That's funny Ali! We have the opposite...DD under feeds the dog, which is a good thing right now since she has weight to lose.

miob responded:
You know what's funny? After reading all of this and thinking about all the things DS does, I think he does more around the house than DH!

Jackie03291 replied to miob's response:
HA HA!! Hopefully it will last, huh??
Jackie (27) Bryan (36) Ava 10/14/08 Baby Girl 2 Due 5/4/12

MandyMartinez83 responded:
My DS loves to help with everything. I will let him rinse the dishes after I wash them. He pulls out his step stool and just comes to help on his own. He also loves putting laundry into the washer/dryer, puts his dirty clothes in the hamper, and feeds the dogs!! All on his own! Hes my little helper

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have been happily married for almost 4 years now. I have a son who just turned 3 in August. We are currently expecting our second son who is due on ...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.