Skip to content
Another daycare question
earleyml1012 posted:
As many of you know, we are pulling our girls from our current daycare center in May/June whenever this is an opening at the new center. Well I have an issue and want to know if you all think it's worth bringing up with DD's teachers or just let it go.

Lately when I pick her up, she's covered in dried leaf crumbs. I don't know if she's rolling around in them, putting them on herself or another kids putting them on her. Yesterday was the worse by far. Super tiny pieces of leaves all over her pants, coat, and hair so I took her coat off to make less of a mess in the car. Well she had them all over her shirt as too. When we got home I had her take her clothes off right inside the door than took her upstairs for a bath and found these partical on her belly and even inbetween her legs. I get it that kids get dirty while playing outside but in my opinion this unexceptable...it's like the teachers aren't even watching what the kids are doing. If they had kids, I highly doubt they would like having that dirt in their car. So what would you do?

Take the Poll

What would you do?
  • Confort the teachers?
  • Deal with it since the kids will be pulled from the center soon?
  • Talk to the director?
vote
View Poll Results

earleyml1012 responded:
Meant...confront the teachers!

sarahann1978 responded:
It seems like an odd time of year to be having dried leaves in the playground, do they not do some sort of yard maintenance in the fall? Weird!

That is a tough situation. I guess if it were me I would weigh out if I thought it was just an inconvience, or if you think their lack of supervision is possibly dangerous. Since you have already spoken with the Director recently and are moving them anyway I would probably just let it go since that is already a strained relationship.

Another thing that I find sometimes works is to make a pointed comment in front of them, like when you pick up DD, say something like "why did you get all those leaves and dirt in your hair and on your clothes again, now we are going to have to change you" right in front of the teacher. That way it's not like you are filing a direct complaint, but they get the message. Maybe even take a second set of clothes and change her at the center and make it obvious. I did that in our old day care because for a while DS would poop right at the time I would pick him up. It was fresh, so I know they didn't leave him sitting in it long, but they probably had enough time to change it before I got there and punted it to me. At first I would change him in the car, but I finally started insisting on changing him there before going to the car and it made the point.
Sarah (33) DH (31) DS (Jan 2009) baby girl (Aug 2012)

magsnemma responded:
I think I'd ask them if they have a pile of old leaves somewhere in the area that the kids play in. You could say something like, do you guys still have a pile of leaves on the playground somewhere? I ask because DD keeps coming home with all kinds of leaf and grass in her shirt. It makes a mess in the car and she gets really itchy from it.

That is nuts. DD comes in with dried grass all over her, but they do activities and stuff that has them rolling around, so I don't really care. Plus the teachers usually point it out to me and tell me what they did that day.
Ali (34) DH (35) DD (3)

Spotlight: Member Stories

On 7/28/03 I became a mommy for the very first time to the most beautiful angle in the world: Emelie Brianne On 4/30/05 I walked down the isle and ...More

Helpful Tips

worried about my 3 year old !
I am worried about my 3 year old grandson!he has been hitting,bitting,cursing,and has been displaying uncontrolable fits of anger.Don,t get ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.