Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Routine of baby with ear infection
earleyml1012 posted:
I'm going to post this question here since this board is a little more active than the Baby's 1st year plus a little more experience. So DD#2 was a great sleeper, sleeping through the night 7pm-6am and putting herself to sleep. Well Thursday night she woke up screaming and wouldn't sleep unless one of us held her, so we knew something was wrong. She had an ear infection and I was told it would take about 48 hrs for her to feel better. Well the rest of the weekend, she'd only fall asleep for naps if we were holding her, then we'd put her in her crib and the same for bedtime. Also, during the night she would wake at least once and the only way to get her back to sleep was feeding her. Has anyone had this happen? Will she go back to sleeping through the night and putting herself back to sleep? I think she still has a cold b/c she's coughing and sneezing...heck we all are! So I don't think she's feeling 100% better yet. Any thoughts?

jlynnpaine responded:
Poor girl. I know that when they're laying down, it can put pressure on the ear and make it painful so I'm sure that's why it's easier for her to sleep when she's being held. Not to mention, if she's congested, laying down will make sleep difficult. If you can try to use saline solution in her nose before bedtime, it might help with the congestion. I'm sure once she's feeling better, she'll go back to her regular routine of sleeping like a trooper. The cough may linger for awhile and that may interrupt her sleep for a bit longer but hopefully not. If she's back to herself and still waking, you may need to do a little bit of sleep training to get her back in her routine, but she may just go back to it on her own. Good luck!
Jodi (28), DH (24), Shaelynn (2), DD2 (due 5/16)

Jackie03291 responded:
I'm sure that she will get back to her routine, I think just keep being consistent with what you were doing before she got sick and eventually it will come back to her when she is feeling all better. Also another thing you could try is folding up a little blanket or something and propping it under her crib mattress on the end where her head is. This will give her a little bit of elevation and maybe help relieve some of the pressure in her head. Hope she gets feeling better soon and you get your nights back!
Jackie (27) Bryan (36) Ava 10/14/08 Baby Girl 2 Due 5/4/12

cyn22mull responded:
Hi! I hope she is feeling better!!
Cindy (35) Scott (39) DS Christopher 3

earleyml1012 replied to cyn22mull's response:
Thanks! She is starting to feel better, she was much happier baby this morning. Her crib mattress is always elevated due to acid reflux, so there's not much more I can do there in terms of relief. Last night I tried rocking her back to sleep when she woke at 2am but she just kept screaming and I didn't want to wake the other sleeping child, so I fed her. I'm thinking she's probably hungry b/c she's not eating as much solids as she was before she got sick. Last night she flat out refused them. Is this common? DD#1 was sick as a baby but it never affected her this much. I feel like a 1st time mom all over again! ;c)

jlynnpaine replied to earleyml1012's response:
Whenever Shae gets sick, she refuses to eat. This happened even when she was an infant so I'm sure that she's wanting to nurse because she is genuinely hungry from not eating as many solids. My philosophy when they're sick is get through it using whatever means necessary, and then you can deal with getting things back to normal again once they're feeling better. This is why Shae is allowed to eat jello and popsicles (for breakfast if that's all she wants!) when she's sick and gets extra tv. Once she's better, all that goes away but in the heat of an illness, it helps everyone cope.
Jodi (28), DH (24), Shaelynn (2), DD2 (due 5/16)

earleyml1012 replied to jlynnpaine's response:
Good news! Katelyn is back to her normal sleeping routine...at least the last two nights. This morning at 3am I even heard her cry out a little and just stayed in bed. After a few more noises, she put herself back to sleep!! YAY!! I'm so much more rested again after getting a full nights sleep.

cyn22mull replied to earleyml1012's response:
Hi! Glad to hear that she is back to her normal sleeping routine! Is she eating better as well?
Cindy (35) Scott (39) DS Christopher 3

Spotlight: Member Stories

I've been doing child care for almost 23 years. I love my job & am very knowledgeable about many aspects of childrearing, but sometimes, kids ...More

Helpful Tips

potty training
Can some give me tip on how to get a 3 year old to poop on a potty chair? My and wife have been trying for several months, he took to ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 10 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.