Skip to content
DD Screaming in the night
earleyml1012 posted:
For about a week now, DD wakes up every night screaming. At first we thought it was b/c her CD player broke and she was without her music for a while. However, last night we had it playing again and she still woke up twice screaming. It's weird b/c most of the time all we do is go in and "wake" her, give her a kiss and she's back to sleep. Do you think she's having nightmares? If so, is there anyway to make it stop?

jlynnpaine responded:
Definitely could be nightmares. My DD does this whenever she gets overtired. For whatever reason, it seems like being too tired makes her have this screaming fits in the night. I don't know if she's having bad dreams or what, she never really even wakes up. We just go in and rub her back for a minute and she settles right back down.
Jodi (28), DH (24), Shaelynn (2), DD2 (due 5/16)

miob responded:
DS gets into a routine every once in a while where he wakes up screaming for several days in a row. I asked my pedi about it and he said that sometimes kids who move from one sleep cycle to the next don't fall asleep and instead, wake up (DS often is only half awake when this happens). The pedi said my reaction of running in and turning on his projector soother was helping to create this bad habit. Instead, I now stay in bed and simply say in a soothing voice that he needs to go back to sleep (so he knows we're still there). It seems to work. He moves out of this routine quicker if I do that.

earleyml1012 replied to miob's response:
I think you are right about her having to settle herself down and go back to sleep on her own. I would love to ignore her but we have an infant sleeping in the room right next to her. I'd much rather take the 30 secs to settle down my 3 yr old than an hour or more to get a baby back to sleep. Any other suggestions?

sdadkin replied to earleyml1012's response:
I have found that when my almost 3 year old wakes up in the middle of the night crying like that we wait a few minutes to see if he is going to fall back asleep on his own. If he doesn't then all we do is go into his room and pull his covers back over him and rub his back for like 20 seconds. Then we say "night-night" and walk out of the room. Unless he is sick he will stop crying and go back to sleep. I think it's because he is not all the way awake when he does this. He has never woke his little brother up from crying and their rooms are across the hall from each other.

miob replied to earleyml1012's response:
That's a tough one. We only had to worry about him waking up the dog

Any possibility of moving your infant to another place to sleep for a few nights while you try to get DD out of the habit? A pack and play crib or something else?

Maybe your DD will work herself out of it. My DS is very routine oriented - if I waited for him to do it on his own, I'd still be getting up every night. But maybe your DD is better at that than my DS.

Spotlight: Member Stories

my name is shanna. i met my husband at 16. we have three beautiful children. 1 girl and 2 boys. my youngest is 3. i am a homemaker which means i do ev...More

Helpful Tips

worried about my 3 year old !
I am worried about my 3 year old grandson!he has been hitting,bitting,cursing,and has been displaying uncontrolable fits of anger.Don,t get ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.