Skip to content
Random Nighttime Coughing Spurts
palvarad posted:
Hi mommies,

For the last month, on/off my little man has been coughing at night. Hacking, phlegmy coughs that scare the crap outta me. I live in NYC and the allergy season has absolutely been killer since the beginning of April, which is kinda when it started. It's one of the most frightening sounds I've heard, sometimes he coughs so hard he turns purple in the face. I've been to his doctor and to his ENT (he has tubes in his ears to clear the airways because he kept getting ear infections) and they both tell me it's simply allergies. But I've never heard of allergies causing coughing. Sneezing, yes, but coughing? Although to be fair he does get itchy eyes, but not all the time. And the building behind mine is doing constrution (I keep his window shut and they hung a tarp over the side of my building to try to keep the debris out).
Ok, I'm going to forewarn everyone, I'm pretty scared when it comes to my babies and their health. I try not to get too alarmed but these random things frighten me more than anything has ever in my lifetime. I don't know what to do. He's been good for the last few (except last night, he was coughing last night). I've given him Claritin, nothing, Benedryl, nothing. I finally tried Delsym and that works for the most part, but not always (i.e. last night it wore off).
I'm trying so hard not to jump to horrific conclusions, so here I am asking if my little man is the only one suffering through this. This isn't the first time these random spurts have occurred, but then he goes through these long stretches and then these happen again. I keep my cool real well but in my head I'm freaking out over this. Please, if anyone has any advice, or words to keep me calm I'd appreciate it. Since I've had my second I'm extra sensitive and I'm quicker to worry. I guess it's still the hormones (my second son is 5 months old).

Thanks in advance.

QTpie2009 responded:
Does he ever sound wheezy? He may have a touch of asthma (at that age it's called reactive airway disease though). My DS was diagnosed with it when he was 1. Allergy season was the worst because it would irritate his lungs. He would cough so much it would make him gag and throw up. It's a lot better now (he'll be 3 in June). They gave us a nebulizer and an inhaler which worked wonders (we hardly have to use these anymore). I gave him Zyrtec too but not sure if that helped or if it was the nebulizer/inhaler. Also, something I would highly recommend and it is so simple- let him sleep with a humidifier. That does wonders too! Good luck.

palvarad replied to QTpie2009's response:
Not wheezy, sometimes its dry and sometimes its phlegmy sounding. Asthma runs in my family and I'm always paranoid that my boys will have it too.
I had a humidifier but it broke, when I can afford it I have to get one for him.

Thanks for replying!! I miss these boards! With my 5 month old I don't get a chance to really read these anymore

jlynnpaine responded:
It really does sound like it could be allergies. You could also try putting an air purifier in his room and letting it run around the clock. That should help keep some of the allergens from bothering him while he's sleeping. Does your doctor know about him turning purple from coughing? If not, I'd definitely mention it. Did they mention trying a neubulizer or something like that?
Jodi (28), DH (24), Shaelynn (2), DD2 (due 5/16)

palvarad replied to jlynnpaine's response:
yeah, i have an asthma pump and a spacer for him from when he had a super bad cough. I don't have a nebulizer, and I did tell the doctor she just said to watch when it happens and if he wasn't breathing well to call her.
It may be allergies, he hasn't coughed that bad (thank God) in a while. It's sporadic here and there now, and the bad part of the spring season passed.
when i can scrounge up some extra monies I am so buying my baby a humidifier. sucks being broke

thanks!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a SAHM of 2 little girls (3 and 6y/o).

Helpful Tips

worried about my 3 year old !
I am worried about my 3 year old grandson!he has been hitting,bitting,cursing,and has been displaying uncontrolable fits of anger.Don,t get ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.