Skip to content
Another Mother's Day poll
sarahann1978 posted:
I was at the store last weekend buying Mother's Day cards for my Mom, MIL and GMIL. There was a lady there looking at cards as well and I mentioned to her that their selection was terrible, they didn't even have cards that addressed "Grandmother". She pointed out that she was disappointed that they also neither had cards for "daughter" or "daugter-in-law."

I never really thought a whole lot about it, but I thought it was sweet that she was honoring her DIL. My MIL has never done a single thing to honor me as a Mother, no Mother's Day cards, no flowers or gifts for me after DS was born, nothing. Not to say she never recognizes me, she always sends a birthday gift and card and she sends me several gifts at Christmas.

I can't remember if it has been every year, but my Mom has sent me cards and coffee mugs for Mother's Day before.

So I was just curious for some discussion, does your MIL and/or Mother honor you on Mother's Day?
Sarah (33) DH (31) DS (Jan 2009) baby girl (Aug 2012)

rjam71 responded:
Both my mom and my mother-in-law send me cards for Mother's Day. Not usually gifts, though.

miob responded:
Mom always gets me a litlte something and a card. MIL sometimes comes through with a card. I always get both of them a card from me and DS as well as a small gift (this year they're getting mugs with pictures of DS on them from Snapfish).

It's really hard to find cards with the right greeting. My mother is 'Nanny', MIL is 'Grammie', one of my grandmothers is 'Nana' and the other is 'Gram'. I usually settle for a generic 'Grandmother' for all - they understand.

magsnemma responded:
Mine is reversed. MIL almost always sends me cards and my mom very rarely does. Our anniversary is also around the same time though, so it could be just too much to send two cards, I don't know.
Ali (34) DH (35) DD (3)

jlynnpaine responded:
My inlaws gave me a card and a plant my first year as a mother. Since then, they haven't done anything. My mom and dad always get me something as well as a card.

When I had DD, MIL made such a huge deal about how she was a grandma now, blah blah blah. Her sister even sent her flowers and bought her a grandma necklace that she bragged about. The sister never sent a thing to Gatlin and I to recognize us becoming parents.
Jodi (28), DH (24), Shaelynn (2), DD2 (due 5/16)

sarahann1978 replied to jlynnpaine's response:
I hear you Jodi, MIL brought all kinds of gifts for DS and was all into being Grandma and taking credit with the family.

Ali I'm happy to hear your MIL takes care of you since you said FIL is a handful!

It's just ironic to me, if it weren't for me my MIL would not get any recognition for Mother's Day, birthday, Grandparents Day or anything since DH leaves it to me (I do make him sign the card that I pick out for MIL and GMIL). She would probably still get a Christmas gift, but it would be something pretty basic since DH hates picking out gifts. Seems like the least she could do is send a card, but I guess the least she does is nothing!

Zaysmama replied to sarahann1978's response:
hey there ladies, since I became a mother 3 years ago, my mom and i have done a special breakfast together and we exchange mother's day cards, but DS's father an I split up before my first mothers day so his mother never sends anything to recognize me.... it doesn't bother me because she's not in his life enough to know how hard I work to give him everything he needs and raise him right!

sarahann1978 replied to Zaysmama's response:
How is your new MIL taking the pregnancy, does she seem like she will be supportive?

lenono97 responded:
My mother-in-law has gotten my cards or a small gift on mothers day. My mom has always given me a card. I think my sister-in-law has even gotten me something for being "godmother" to her son! Some people are just card people and others are not.

Zaysmama replied to sarahann1978's response:
New MIL is very supportive, but so was the ex's mom.. She was all about being the best MIL and Grandma and everything until we split and now she talks trash on me as a person and a mom even though she has no idea how good of a relationship DS and I have!... Anyway, the New MIL has two young children 5 & 8... so DS loves playing with them and we spend alot fo time together. I hope she is a big part of both my childrens lives because she is a great mom herself...

Spotlight: Member Stories

Working mom of a handsome 3 yr old boy!! DS is amazing and beautiful and perfectly imperfect. I love his smile and his hugs :) He is currently learnin...More

Helpful Tips

potty training
Can some give me tip on how to get a 3 year old to poop on a potty chair? My and wife have been trying for several months, he took to ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.