Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Car Seat Question
Zaysmama posted:
Hey there..
We all have 3year olds and I'm kinda wondering what type of careseat your LO is in and when you changed or plan to change them to a booster.

DS is 3years 2.5 months and is still in a full car seat. His father just bought him a booster seat and I'm wondering how to tell when LO is ready for the switch. DS is right on track for his growth being 39" tall and weighing in at 34 lbs.. He still sits comfortably in his carseat with me, so i'm not sure whether I should move him up or keep him in that and whether his DF should have him in a carseat or booster.

Any types or insight would be helpful! Thanks in advance

magsnemma responded:
DD is 3.5 and is in a convertible car seat. She's not anywhere near the height (total or shoulder) or weight limits, so I'll leave her in that car seat as long as possible.

There are also laws that vary by state. I added a link so you can look up your state:

http://www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo/laws/childsafety_laws.html
Ali (34) DH (35) DD (3)

jlynnpaine responded:
My DD is still harnessed in a carseat. We plan to keep her that way for as long as possible. We have A Graco Nautilus that you can harness them up to 65 lbs. I know the laws vary by state but I believe the minimum recommendation is 4 years and 40 lbs. I know a ton of people who switch their kids to boosters sooner than that but for me personally, I want to wait as long as possible just because they're that much safer when they're able to either RF (at a younger age) or be harnessed (at this age).
Jodi (28), DH (24), Shaelynn (2), DD2 (due 5/16)

cyn22mull responded:
My DS is still in a harnessed car seat. He will be 4 next weekend and I do not have any current plans to move him. He is tall but doesnt complain about it being uncomfortable. In SC I think they have to be 4 and 40lbs and he is only at 32lbs.

However, my parents did get a booster seat for when he visits them, but they live 4hrs away and usually when we go visit it is just for the weekend and he doesnt ride for long periods in the car withthem.
Cindy (35) Scott (39) DS Christopher 3

miob responded:
I'll probably be in the minority on this, but we switched DS a week ago (he'll be 4 in September). He was getting to a point where the straps of the convertible car seat were below his shoulders and rather than spend the money on a new convertible, we moved him to the booster (it's 3 years, 30 lbs here and he's just at the 30 lb mark).

I called my pediatrician's office to confirm that it's ok to move him and consulted the iihs website (and consumer reports) about which model to purchase. He loves it and with the way the booster guides the seatbelt, he fits really well. If we weren't having the issue with the shoulder straps, we'd probably have kept him in the convertible seat longer.

leftcoastgirl responded:
My DD is mostly in a convertible car seat (5-point harness) and will be until she turns four. She's big enough to be in the booster - she's 42 pounds and over 40 inches - but our pedi said to wait if we can. Since she still fits into the convertible, we'll keep it another month.

In my DH's car, she does use the booster. She rarely drives with him, and when she does it's to go the two miles to pre-school. We figured it wouldn't be worth it to purchase a new convertible for his car only to get rid of it a short time later.
Me (35), DH (35), DD (3), DD (born Jan. 6)

Zaysmama replied to leftcoastgirl's response:
Thanks for all the input!... That really helped. i like have DS is the 5-point harness convertible, make me feel like hes safer.
I'll keep it as long as possible. He is pretty far below the 40lb mark and doesnt gain weight quickly so he should be fine for a while!...
As for him being in a booster when he is with his DF, should I be worried about that?... his DF lives just 6miles from my house and never takes him out of town, but I always worry about the what ifs... It doesn't take a long ride to get in an accident!... Even if I tell his dad that he isn't safe being in the booster, I'm not sure if he would go purchase a convertible for the short time Izayah will be needing it.

leftcoastgirl replied to Zaysmama's response:
If he's far below 40 lbs., you may want to consider springing for another convertible car seat for your DF's car. We got the booster for DH's car because DD already met the physical requirements for the booster and was only three moths away from turning 4. But if your DS is smaller, you might get a lot of use out of the convertible.
Me (35), DH (35), DD (3), DD (born Jan. 6)

Zaysmama replied to leftcoastgirl's response:
Thanks for the tip... I'll have to mention it to him. He has a newborn (4 or 5 month old) so if he bought the convertible he would get double the use out of it using it from my son and then his other son... maybe that will be a selling point for him! haha... thanks again though! It really worries me because I would never forgive myself if I let him go and something happened!

edon1 responded:
Here is a great page about when your child will be ready to move to a booster, and some information about the safety benefits of staying in a harnessed seat longer. Most 3-4 year olds are not mature enough to sit properly in a booster seat.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=38893

Zaysmama replied to edon1's response:
thanks! the info was very helpful!

Spotlight: Member Stories

my two years six months old baby has refused potty training. she prepfers to wee on the carpet, bed or any where apart from her potty. what do i do to...More

Helpful Tips

worried about my 3 year old !
I am worried about my 3 year old grandson!he has been hitting,bitting,cursing,and has been displaying uncontrolable fits of anger.Don,t get ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.