Skip to content
O/T What happens if we both die?
QTpie2009 posted:
Hi everyone,
My husband and I are going on vacation to Florida in June. My parents and my husband's mom are taking turns keeping our son while we are gone. Of course I started thinking what if something happened to the both of us... where would DS go? We do not have a will. It is hard for my husband and I to even meet during business hours to go see an attorney because I work 1st shift and he works 2nd shift. I have already talked to my parents about the situation and they agreed to be the guardians to DS. If I typed something up and both my husband and I signed it, would it fly in court?

magsnemma responded:
Even if you don't do it in time for your vacation in June, it's a good idea to have one. I don't know if a signed piece of paper would hold up in court, it might hold more weight if it were notarized. But I'm not a lawyer, so I really have no idea. Either way, a will declares your intentions if something should happen and could prevent potential legal questions regarding your DS. Also, you don't have to go at the same time to make/sign a will do you?
Ali (34) DH (35) DD (3)

QTpie2009 replied to magsnemma's response:
I guess I just assumed you would both have to be there to sign, but maybe not. I'll check into it.

QTpie2009 replied to QTpie2009's response:
Ok I just called an attorney's office and we don't have to be there at the same time to sign. They took some info from me and the attorney is going to call me back.

magsnemma replied to QTpie2009's response:
Wow, that was fast. Hopefully it's a fairly painless process. DH and I did one, but since he's military, we did it through base legal. I have no frame of reference for "regular" people.

Oh, and I hope you guys have a lot of fun on your vacation!
Ali (34) DH (35) DD (3)

lenono97 responded:
You could also try legalzoom.com. They are legal documents you do on-line. Not only do you want to make sure your son is taken care of but also your house and money. But seeing a lawyer is a good idea. Regardless if you were going on vacation or not. It's something I keep meaning to do. Just haven't done it yet.

earleyml1012 responded:
We did ours last summer and it really doesn't take too long. The lawyer has a list of general questions, that I'm sure he could email to you ahead of time, and we just answered them. Then they typed up a will that we proof read and once they were finalized we meet one last time to sign them. I'm sure you could go in at different times to sign.

I did hear about a website online that you can create documents that are legally binding. You could look into that too. However, I think it's best to do a lawyer b/c then you know it will hold up in court. Plus we had our living will and Power of Attorny done at the same time.

QTpie2009 responded:
Sorry, I hadn't checked this for a couple of days. Thanks for all your replies!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a proud momma to 4 kids...DS (2004), DD (2006), DD (2007), and DD (2008)...and if you want to count my DH it's 5...lol. I'm a SAHM wishin...More

Helpful Tips

worried about my 3 year old !
I am worried about my 3 year old grandson!he has been hitting,bitting,cursing,and has been displaying uncontrolable fits of anger.Don,t get ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.