Skip to content
Any ideas?
sarahann1978 posted:
For the sake of conversation here I thought I would post a question. I read somewhere an idea when you have a new baby that a good way to foster the relationship between the baby and your older children is to have them exchange gifts when the baby is born. I thought it was a great idea and came up with the idea that I want DS to pick out a soft blankie lovey like his lovey ducks to give his little sister. I am going to take him after his big sibling class on July 12 to pick it out and then have him put it in a little gift bag that he can bring to the hospital when he comes to meet her.

On the same token I want to get him a gift from her that will be in our hospital bag and sitting there when he comes to visit. I am having a hard time coming up with something though, and wondering if anyone has any good ideas.

I find DS is at the age where gifts that give instant gratification mean the most, like something he will be able to play with/use right out of the gift bag. I thought about a new game for his Leapster, but what if the game itself gets forgotten. It also needs to be something he can't scatter all over the hospital room, needs extensive assembly, or make a big mess with.

Any ideas?
Sarah (33) DH (31) DS (Jan 2009) baby girl (Aug 2012)

leftcoastgirl responded:
We did this when our DD was born in January. I brought a little Lightning McQueen toy and a princess crown in my bag to the hospital so that DD could get a gift from her baby sister. We didn't plan it in advance, but DH took DD to the toy store while I was in the hospital, and DD picked out two matching stuffed bears - one for her and one for her new sister. It was very sweet, and DD still talks about how one of the bears is hers and one is her sister's!
Me (35), DH (35), DD (3), DD (born Jan. 6)

sarahann1978 replied to leftcoastgirl's response:
Ooh, I like the crown idea, and will have to think of a boyish way to do that. Maybe a shirt or hat or something. The McQueen toy sounds good too, either that or DS is into Thomas the Train, that might also be a good one that doesn't involve too much. Thanks LCG!

earleyml1012 responded:
We did this too when our DD#2 was born in December. However, since we were having another girl I didn't want to buy a new toy for the baby, so DH and I picked one out of baby toys stored away. DD#1 thought it was new and put it in the gift bag for her baby sister. Then for DD#1 we bought her a Thomas the Train puzzle. She loved playing with that after the excitment of the baby wore off. We had my mom put her in her big sister t-shirt to visit. On the way to the room so many people stopped her to ask if she was visiting her new baby. This made her day! Also, when she gave the baby the stuffed animal she kept trying to make DD#2 hold it. It was so cute.

Just a warning, your son may not get that the baby you are holding is the same one that was in your belly. We referred to DD#2 as Katelyn all the time but when DD#1 came to visit she didn't understand that it was the same Katelyn as in mommy's belly. She just kept asking "Who is that?" Also, be prepared for lots of questions about the hospital room, any IVs that may still be in your arms and what you are doing if you BF. 3 yr olds ask LOTS of questions!

I can't wait to hear how it goes for you!

sarahann1978 replied to earleyml1012's response:
Thanks for the reply! We are also going with the name Katelyn, but going to spell it Kaitlan. I can't wait to see how DS reacts, it will be a really fun experience. We are taking him to a big sibling course on July 12 that is held in the L&D department, so hopefully that will help him understand some of the stuff, although I'm sure it will all be overwhelming still when she is born.

earleyml1012 replied to sarahann1978's response:
We thought we were giving Katelyn a "normal" spelling of her name but boy were we wrong. I can't find anything in stores with Katelyn on it, just Kaitlin...guess that's the most popular way to spell it.

What will Kaitlan's middle name be? Our DD's is Grace.

Zaysmama responded:
Love this idea!!!!
sad to say but at this age kids are so easily pleased with material things. I know that if DS1 thinks that DS2 brought him a present he would be much more accepting esp when everyone is fondling over the baby and DS1 is no longer the main attraction!...
Allowing DS1 to pick something out for the baby will make him feel more a part of the situation!...

I personally like the matching bear idea!!!

sarahann1978 replied to earleyml1012's response:
Ha, ha so I guess I'm a total copy cat because we are also going with Grace, LOL! My DH's Mother's Mother's name was Grace and she died from cancer when MIL was about 19 years old so we chose that name in honor of her. I know it's super popular right now, so that is why we are going with it for the middle name.

earleyml1012 replied to sarahann1978's response:
That's awesome. I think it sounds so good together...obviously! ;c) We call Katelyn by her full name sometimes b/c I just think it sounds so pretty.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Amber Rawlins. I have 3 children. Gloria just turned 3 on march 11th, eli will be two may, 19th and sophia turned 1 on april, 16th My child...More

Helpful Tips

potty training
Can some give me tip on how to get a 3 year old to poop on a potty chair? My and wife have been trying for several months, he took to ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.